Oheb Shalom Congregation of South Orange, NJ, seeks Executive Director
Welcome to Oheb! Located just 30 minutes outside New York City in vibrant South Orange, New Jersey, Oheb Shalom is an egalitarian, inclusive, diverse, multi-generational, USCJ-affiliated synagogue with a beloved 160-year history and a fresh, forward-looking energy. We are known for our warmth and welcoming spirit; our 300+ member households feel a strong connection to one another as we strive to be a dynamic Jewish community for the times in which we live.
On any given day there are a wealth of activities happening in our congregation, from preschool sing-alongs, to our thriving religious school and teen programs, to our in-house Kosher Food Pantry, to religious and spiritual observance and celebration. We appreciate that our Executive Director is keeping our programming and staff running smoothly, thanks to efficient and highly organized systems, strategic thinking, and sensitive caretaking.
Know that you will be joining a professional staff, clergy, and lay leadership network that is engaged, committed, and truly supportive of one another’s professional and personal growth and achievement.
We are looking for an experienced, energetic, highly organized, and compassionate Executive Director who is ready to hit the ground running as an integral part of our senior leadership team. The candidate must possess strong leadership skills, managerial experience, and financial acumen along with a willingness to be actively engaged day-to-day on-site. Excellent communication and collaborative skills are essential, in order to build strong relationships with members, the Rabbi, Cantor, Education Director, Preschool Director, office staff, maintenance staff, and lay leadership.
This key leadership role, reporting to the Board President and working closely with a diversity of stakeholders, shapes and implements the congregation’s vision. Our Executive Director oversees and is ultimately responsible for managing human, financial, administrative, and physical resources, including supervision of multiple staff members and vendors. They serve as the head administrator of our synagogue and in so doing, help create and maintain an environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and secure for all. They cultivate a workplace atmosphere for their team where mutual respect and collaboration is essential, as befits the values of our synagogue.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director has supervisory responsibilities in the following areas, with an established team of professionals providing support:
- Human Resource Management and Administration
- Membership and Community Engagement
- Organizational Leadership and Governance
The Executive Director oversees day-to-day activities and provides the lay and staff teams with guidance about a variety of operations and resources, including but not limited to:
Facilities and Vendor Management – Manage the operations of the building, including security and maintenance, and monitoring use of facilities for all programming, services and rentals.
Financial Management – Supervise the financial operations of Oheb Shalom and advise on financial implications of strategic decisions.
Communications and Marketing – Develop and implement a comprehensive communications and marketing plan that provides timely and engaging information to the congregation and broader community.
Programming Support – Provide logistical expertise that ensures operational success for a variety of programming and events.
Database Management and Information Technology (IT) –Ensure the IT needs of the synagogue are met in an effective, secure, and cost-efficient manner.
2. Human Resource Management and Administration
The Executive Director leads the staff by managing human resources: hiring, training, and supervising administrative, communications and marketing, membership and engagement, and maintenance staff. They maintain a collaborative work environment built on trust, respect, clear expectations, and accountability that attracts and retains an enthusiastic staff of top-quality professionals.
3. Membership and Community Engagement
The Executive Director serves as a key point of contact for all members, working with the clergy, Board and lay leadership to ensure the membership experience is positive, welcoming and supportive.
The Executive Director advises on and actively participates in connecting members with the congregation’s philanthropic priorities and interests, and develops funding sources.
5. Organizational Leadership and Governance
The Executive Director supports the work of the Board and committees with sound advice, timely and accurate reports, and information, refining and implementing strategic vision for the future. Your attendance at and participation in Board meetings as well as various relevant committee meetings is highly valued.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Five years related leadership experience, preferable as an Executive Director.
- Professional experience at a synagogue or nonprofit organization.
- Knowledge of Jewish practices and tradition, and familiarity with traditions of Conservative Judaism.
- Willingness to work flexible hours (including weekends and nights), and be present on-site as needed.
- Technical competency (or ability to learn quickly): ShulCloud, Microsoft Office Suite, QuickBooks
Skills and Traits That Will Ensure Success
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Balances an ability to be assertive and decisive while also empathetic and calm in challenging situations.
- Exceptional organizational and project management ability.
- Is true to their word, displaying consistency between their words and action.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks while following through on short and long-term responsibilities.
- Excellent problem solver, with skills to find answers and resolve issues.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters with maturity and discretion.
- Enthusiasm for both leading and rolling-up their sleeves to get the job done.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Competitive Benefits Package included.
Applicants should send a letter of interest and resume to Jo Ann Boyko, [email protected].
Please submit a cover letter explaining how your experience prepares you for this position.