Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to fight poverty and pursue justice in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 18 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
Overview of Department
The Eastern Region Team (ERT), part of AJWS’s Development Division, is responsible for the cultivation, stewardship and strategy-setting for significant donors to the organization based in the Eastern Region of the United States. Our portfolios include: individual donors making major gifts (defined as $10,000 or more) as well as major donor prospects; key donor influencers; members of our Global Circle, who are individuals under the age of 30 who have the current or future capacity to become significant donors; and members and prospective members of our Legacy Society, those who have included AJWS in their wills or other plans for giving after their lifetimes. The Eastern Region Team works in close collaboration with colleagues in the Western and Midwestern Regional teams to secure revenue to support AJWS’s mission from individuals, and with our colleagues across the Development Division to ensure best-in-class relationship-building and fundraising practices, particularly as they relate to individual major gift and planned giving donors.
The Eastern Region Team Development Associate provides administrative support to the Eastern Region Team and assists with screening, through personal telephone and written outreach, prospective major and planned giving donors. The person in this role will work with the Director, Eastern Region to craft and communicate out agendas for team meetings and follow up with team members on to do lists, ensuring completion of shared tasks. They will work with frontline fundraisers in the ERT to ensure that information gathered in research projects is correctly uploaded into Salesforce and support the team where needed in data cleaning and management. Using lists generated by the Prospect Development team in Development Operations the Development Associate will make outreach calls and send personalized mailings to major and planned-giving “suspects” to assist with the development of the prospect pipeline and will partner with the Prospect Development team to ensure the movement of these prospective donors through the prospect pipeline. The Development Associate will participate in the overall administrative and logistical support of the Development Division overall through participation in the Development Associates Team (DAT).
Reporting to the Director, Eastern Region, the Development Associate – Eastern Region will take on the following responsibilities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support to enable ERT delivery on outputs
- Act as an informal liaison with Development Operations Team for matters related to the ERT’s use of Salesforce, and support ERT’s use of Salesforce with data entry and data clean-up
- Do introductory discovery outreach (mailings, emails and calls) to major and planned giving donor “suspects”Partner with Prospect Development team to develop leads and ensure movement of prospects/suspects through donor pipeline
- Organize, monitor and track projects and to-do lists for the ERT;
- Create and communicate out the content of meeting agendas and follow up to-do lists for the ERT
- Participate in cross-region Development Associate Team to manage cross-divisional administrative projects
The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep commitment to AJWS’s mission, a keen mind, high energy and the ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks effectively. The individual must have strong communication skills to manage internal communication with good judgment, discretion and tact as well as represent AJWS well to prospective donors. They will demonstrate excellent project management and critical thinking skills and will show initiative to anticipate problems and innovate creative solutions. This position has a sizable administrative component, so strong organizational skills and attention to detail is essential. This is an entry level position.
- A minimum of 1-3+ years relevant work experience providing administrative support in a dynamic, high-energy environment with an Associates Degree or equivalent experience;
- Organized, detail-oriented and able to manage multiple complex tasks;
- Experience with project management—coordinating multiple people or teams toward collaboratively accomplishing a final project through multiple steps—a plus;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills—both written and spoken—and ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across all levels of the organization and with donors as needed
- Flexible work style with the ability to work under tight deadlines and shifting priorities;
- Motivated self-starter capable of working independently as well as within a team environment;
- Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by making appropriate decisions and knowing when to take initiative;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications;
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, particularly Salesforce, a plus
- Creative and conceptual with an ability to “think outside the box;”
- High level of professionalism with the ability to maintain sensitive information;
- Previous experience in the non-profit sector, a plus; and
- Commitment to issues of global social justice and human rights a plus.
- Proven ability to interface comfortably and effectively with donors and prospects a plus.
Compensation and Benefits Information:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and the market;
- Paid Time Off: 15-21 Federal and religious holidays off each year in addition to generous vacation and sick days;
- Full health benefits coverage with minimal contribution by employees;
- 403(b): 4% company match (safe harbor);
- Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefits;
- Workplace flexibility and generous leave policy.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Intersex, Trans and Gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
As an organization committed to promoting social justice around the world, it is essential that we incorporate a diverse, equitable and inclusive lens into all aspects of our work at AJWS. We encourage applicants with a global perspective and a commitment to values around diversity, equity, and inclusion to apply.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, apply below.
Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered.