Congregation B’nai B’rith – Santa Barbara, CA
Caretaker / Property Manager
Ensure buildings and grounds are attractive, maintained and safe.
While not responsible for daily cleaning, the Property Manager will report to the Director of Operations and work closely with the Maintenance Supervisor who oversee the maintenance/cleaning staff.
The Property Manager will also work with the Building Admin team on planning and execution of building construction and improvement projects.
The full time Property Manager will live on site in a two bedroom cottage at the Temple property and will provide a presence during off-hours to deter trespassers or vandals and be an emergency after-hours contact.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Operate and understand all building systems and equipment
o HVAC, plumbing, electrical, security, fire alarm and audio/visual, trash and recycling
o Maintains equipment on temple grounds by closely monitoring equipment and completing necessary testing and maintenance as required.
o Maintains accurate records of all maintenance repairs and proactively schedules all equipment services.
· Identify and respond to requests for repairs
o Regularly inspects property for areas of concern and follows up with requests made by others
o Perform minor repairs, general construction and carpentry needs and maintenance functions including but not limited to: fixing leaky pipes, toilets and sinks; replacing lights, painting, and performing other general repairs
o For issues outside of normal maintenance, informs Operations Director about problems, solutions, and costs associated. Provides a weekly status update on any pending project.
· Identify needs, hire and contract, and oversee facility vendors and service providers
o Work with contractors and vendors in the planning of projects, acquisition of proposals and oversight of work performed.
o Negotiate cost and scheduling needs with contractors when maintenance and repair services are needed.
o Projects could include maintenance as well as enhancements or upgrades – such as building signage, new windows, parking lot lighting, grading parking lot, sanding/staining benches, installing shade sails, maintaining our Catering van (including registration and smog renewals) and our golf cart.
· Monitor security system
o Open and close building as needed – ensure building is secure
o Respond to alarms and liaise with police and alarm company as needed
o First point of contact if alarm goes off after hours
o Monitor video security system
· Oversee our Landscape needs
o Perform some duties and oversee vendor or volunteers
o Ensure maintenance and upgrades as needed to irrigation system
o Repair irrigation leaks on campus
o Set irrigation timers and ensure all work properly
· Develop and manage a maintenance schedule
o Organize and retain maintenance records for the building, contacts of outside vendors/volunteers, and annual/seasonal maintenance checklists
o Store all vendor insurance on file and ensure their insurance is up to date
· Aware of and adhere to budgets and be involved in long term planning and execution
o Help Operations Director manage the annual budget for maintenance and facilities projects
o Work with the Building Trustee and Operations Director on long-term forecast for capital replacement
o Be a staff member on Building committee
o Be the Project manager for building renovation projects
· Support Operations Director in special projects, grant management and execution
· Attend and participate in bi-monthly staff meetings
· Work with Operations Director to maintain:
o Security practices
o Fire prevention practices
o Emergency planning and procedures
o Hazardous material and e-waste management and disposal
o Fire extinguisher regular checking and maintenance
o Replacing batteries in motion sensors and walkie talkies and defibrillators on a schedule
· Occasionally coordinate groups of volunteers for certain projects and maintenance to be executed by volunteers
· Perform any other reasonable duty as may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility.
This job description is not exhaustive; it merely outlines the key tasks and responsibilities of the post. These key tasks and responsibilities are subject to change. Any changes will be made in consultation with the post holder.
1. Must have good interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with and collaborate with the staff, clergy and volunteers
2. Ability to communicate with staff and volunteers on facility needs and uses; Spanish-speaking a plus.
3. Ability to negotiate with contractors and vendors for facility needs.
4. Be self-motivated, interested in learning and willing to serve
5. Good organizational and planning skills
6. Ability to execute projects systematically and think in terms of solutions
7. Proficiency in basic carpentry and mechanical skills
8. Knowledge of basic HVAC and mechanical functions of a large non-residential building
9. Proficient in computer applications including Word, Excel, Outlook
10. Minimum of 5 years experience in facilities management or related field and supervising others
11. Ability to safely lift 50 lbs. and to have complete mobility in building and grounds activities
12. Must have a clean driving record
13. Must pass a thorough background check and fingerprinting
14. Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
This is a full time, exempt role. Hours include some evenings and weekends. Salary takes into account housing on-site. We offer benefits (medical, vision and dental) and paid vacation.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 - $60,000.00 per year plus housing paid in full including all utilties.