Are you looking for a mission-driven non-profit where your skills can help people in need around the world? At the Jewish United Fund (JUF), we take pride in our mission and in having a work culture that fosters a sense of belonging and feels rewarding, supportive, and inclusive. We have a hybrid schedule and offer generous benefits including a 401(k) match, 22 days of paid time off, 11 sick days, and up to 21 paid holidays. The salary range for this role is $60,000-$75,000.
What you’ll be responsible for:
The Managing Editor is at the helm of Jewish Chicago: The JUF Magazine’s, editorial and production processes, serving as the bridge between the lead, editorial, advertising and creative teams. This role ensures that deadlines are met, creative work is thoughtfully and smoothly executed, and that editorial work is accurate, compelling and relevant to key constituents. The Managing Editor is also an exceptional writer with their own eloquent narrative voice, engaging audiences by crafting news and features that bring to life JUF’s work and news in the community—and guiding staff in similarly producing engaging content.
What you’ll be doing:
- Creates the Jewish Chicago editorial and production calendar and manages it in a smooth and timely manner, balancing community and institutional interests with the needs of advertisers and the demands of the production process.
- Manages the magazine production process, serving as the bridge between the lead, editorial, advertising and creative teams to ensure that deadlines are met, and creative work is thoughtfully and smoothly executed in keeping with intradepartmental processes and technology.
- Contributes to editorial content ideation and generation of story ideas, keeping tabs on industry trends, along with news and developments within the local and global Jewish communities that are important to key constituents.
- Reports and writes fresh, engaging stories for the magazine and related electronic media that are compelling to a diverse readership, intensifying readers’ pride in their community and deepening donors’ engagement/sense of investment in JUF.
- Supervises the Associate Editor to ensure their contributions of high-quality content on deadline.
- Manages and supports all magazine marketing and sales activities, supervising the Director of Advertising Sales, with an eye to continually growing the magazine’s revenue base while working to enhance the quality, diversity and prestige of display ads.
- Oversees business operations for the magazine, including monitoring and analyzing production costs, postage and advertising revenue, and assists in the Marketing/Communications department’s budgeting process.
What you need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7-10 years of experience in?editing, writing and production/project management, ideally in journalism, marketing, public relations, or related fields.
- Excellent leadership abilities, management skills and business acumen.
- Keen emotional intelligence and the ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds and skills, interacting effectively with colleagues, lay leadership, and community members.
- Superb project management skills and capacity to assume ownership of editorial and production processes, liaising comfortably with wide ranging intradepartmental and interdepartmental disciplines and colleagues of all levels.
- A finely-honed sense of editorial judgment and ability to approach sensitive, nuanced topics with discretion and professionalism, informed by a strong grasp of the local and global Jewish community, along with basic literacy in Jewish culture, heritage and traditions. Knowledge of JUF and Jewish communal organizations a plus.
- Exceptional writing, reporting and storytelling skills, with a fresh, engaging and versatile editorial voice.
- Outstanding interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to pivot and multitask on a consistent basis.
- Deadline-driven, with the capacity to work swiftly and effectively under pressure.
What you’ll love about us:
At JUF, you can be part of one of the largest non-profit social welfare institutions in Illinois. We provide food, refuge, healthcare, education, emergency assistance, and essential services to 500,000 Chicagoans of all faiths and millions of Jews around the world. We offer medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) with base contribution and match, additional health and wellness benefits, financial benefits, professional training, tuition reimbursement, and much more. We have a flexible schedule with core hours and the ability to work from home / remote a few days per week (for most positions) on a hybrid basis.
*Please upload a cover letter and writing sample with your application.*