Senior Jewish Educator / Assistant Director, Student Life
Hillel at UCLA
Are you a skilled supervisor with an eye for detail and ability to manage simultaneous projects? A n authentic Jewish educator who will foster student leadership and engagement through grassroots organizing, spiritual connection, and community engagement ? This hybrid role is for you.
As our Student Life team leader, you will set the vision and innovate new initiatives to ensure that we achieve both breadth and depth.
As a member of our Senior Staff team , you will partner with a highly regarded Chief Operating Officer and Director of Philanthropic Partnerships to coordinate operations and assist with grants and fundraising.
What You’ll Do
Leadership and Supervision
- Oversee three Student Life staff team members through empowerment and accountability
- Work in tandem with a seasoned OU JLIC couple
- Manage processes such as hiring, funding, planning and data utilization
- Be a thought-partner with the Executive Director
- Model personal growth, Jewish learning, and professional development
- Create and implement a comprehensive student engagement strategy
- Be ultimately responsible for engagement metrics and educational outcomes
Student Life and Engagement
- Build relationships with 80-100 student leaders from diverse backgrounds
- Address needs of the Jewish communities on campus that are underserved
- Offer pastoral support.
- Model best engagement and educational practices as you teach Jewish Learning Fellowships and help lead Shabbat and holidays
- Coach and advise Hillel Student Board and other student leaders to cultivate a community that is caring, diverse, pluralistic, and welcoming
- Meet with students interested in creating a new social justice initiative at Hillel
Campus and Community Partnerships
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with campus professionals to ensure positive positioning of Hillel in the university landscape
- Stimulate community support and involvement in student programs by communicating Hillel’s vision with lay leaders, alumni, parents and community members
- Encourage student participation in local Jewish community events and other opportunities nationally and abroad
What You’ve Accomplished
- Rabbinic ordination or an advanced degree in Jewish studies, Jewish education or a related field.
- 5+ years work experience in the Jewish and/or campus community
- Experience supervising team members and guiding them toward success and growth
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Creativity, flexibility, passion, a sense of humor
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and leadership development skills
- Capable of working independently towards goals, including metrics
- Ability to prioritize to meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Deep understanding of college culture, millennials, and the landscape of American Jewish life
- Commitment to both personal Jewish growth and the growth of Jewish students through pluralism, education, and inclusion
- Desire to spend at least three evenings a week during the academic year with the most incredible staff and students in southern California
What You’ll Receive
Hillel offers an excellent benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GRSA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability, Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave, flexible hours, abundant vacation time, international travel, and easy-going summer schedules compensate for a sometimes intense schedule during the academic year
Great professional development, mentoring, skill building opportunities and a network of colleagues from across the Hillel movement.
Working with a staff team which has piloted initiatives now being utilized on hundreds of campuses around the world including the Campus Engagement Initiative, campus-specific trips for non-Jews to Israel and the PA, and national and global social justice initiatives
Hillel at UCLA is known as a "great place to work," in part because of our commitment to personal and professional development. Opportunities for coaching and mentorship will be available to help you continue to build skills and experience towards further career advancement.
Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $85,000 - $100,000 based on experience and credentials.
About Hillel at UCLA
Hillel at UCLA is the center of Jewish life at UCLA and plays an important role in Jewish Life and the arts for the wider community. We endeavor to be a welcoming, uplifting, lively, and insistently pluralistic home for students at UCLA to be both supported and challenged as they progress through their most formative years. We work in partnership with students to help them develop authentic and committed Jewish lives by empowering them with tools and resources to create innovative and meaningful values-based programming that energizes and enriches Jewish life at UCLA and beyond.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.