Makom Community Educator (Part-Time, multiple openings)
~25 hours/week during the school year
Key Duties & Responsibilities:?
- Co-teach Jewish Enrichment daily for grades PreK-4 (ages 4-12) Monday through Friday
- Participate in text study and lesson planning in collaboration with our team of educators
- Work occasional camp days
How will you do this?
- Obtain appropriate background checks within 30 days of hire
- Create lesson plans and learning materials with your co-teacher
- Teach daily Monday through Friday in Jewish Enrichment
- Support and actively participate in Tefilah; support students in learning to lead Tefilah
- Build relationships with parents through ongoing communication (email & phone)
- Use Asana for task management and supervision
- Supervised jointly by Director of Teaching & Learning and Head Teacher
- Participate in regular reflection and goal setting to support your own growth
- Typical schedule Monday 12p-6pm and Tuesday through Friday 1pm to 6pm
- Collaborate with co-teacher on your classroom that will have up to 12 children in it per day
- Collaborate with with Center City & South Philly teams as you study text together to prepare to teach
This may be the position for you, if you meet the requirements below and you…
- Want to be involved in cutting-edge of urban Jewish learning for children and their families
- Are an innovator of the field of Jewish education
- Want to be part of a team that values your creativity and will challenge you to grow professionally and personally
- Looking to be inspired and supported by peers and experienced educators
- Minimum of 1 years working with school-aged children
- MUST have or obtain all appropriate background checks within 30 days of hire
- Ability to phonetically read Hebrew
Bonus if you have:
- Experience teaching & studying Jewish text
- Strong familiarity with Jewish text
Salary & Benefits:
$23-29/hour, including time spent preparing before students arrive or in professional development sessions. This role comes with two weeks of paid time off to be used with the approval of your supervisor. We are closed for most Jewish and federal holidays. Professional development funding is available to nurture your growth as a professional and bring even more exciting ideas and techniques back to Makom Community.
Makom Community transforms Jewish Education by creating and modeling experiential and intentional learning environments in collaboration with educators, children, and their families. Our pedagogy for Jewish Education celebrates curiosity and questioning of Jewish wisdom. Our roots in Jewish tradition are a springboard for children to be kind, confident, and resilient leaders today and in the future. We listen deeply to children’s voices as they build a community where they love to be. Through our experiences together, Makom Community is committed to creating a more just world as an outgrowth of our Jewish learning. We are nurturing a Jewish community that is open to anyone who wants to engage with Jewish life alongside their family.
Quick Facts about Makom Community
- Daily, high-quality Jewish education as afterschool enrichment
- Children ages 4-10 in Center City and South Philadelphia (Pre-K through 4th grade)
- 5th-7th grade students in our BMitzvah program in Center City
- Project-based and child-led learning
- School’s Out Camps during school vacations, snow days, and early dismissals
- Growing model of family and adult learning and holiday services
Makom Community takes COVID safety very seriously. We will continue to exceed CDC’s recommendations for how we handle COVID safety with our on-site educators and students. Currently, our whole staff team is vaccinated and boosted, and 100% of our students are vaccinated.This is a fully in-person role in one of our sites in Center City or South Philadelphia.
Send a cover letter telling us about your experience, a resume, and three references to Beverly Socher-Lerner, Executive Director [email protected] with the words “part-time educator YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
Makom Community is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome employees and prospective employees without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or veteran status.