Congregation Kol Tikvah is looking for a skilled Bookkeeper to maintain our financial records including, but not limited to accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, and payroll. The bookkeeper will perform a variety of duties that require precise attention to detail and a high level of organization. This position reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Board Treasurer and other lay leaders.
- Maintain and update chart of accounts in Quickbooks.
- Enter billing for synagogue and preschool. Record cash receipts. Ensure Quickbooks and CRM (Chaverware) are reconciled monthly.
- Process accounts payable, ensuring all invoices and requests for payments are entered timely and accurately. Pay bills per the direction of the Executive Director and Treasurer.
- Coordinate all payroll preparation and processing with ADP/payroll company. Ensure all new hires complete paperwork and are entered into payroll system. Track vacation and PTO. Prepare and distribute w-2 and 1099’s. Otherwise manage basic human resource functionalities.
- Prepare journal entries and maintain the general ledger.
- Prepare bank reconciliations on all-cash accounts.
- Submit financial and corporate reports to state, banks, and other institutions.
- Prepare monthly financial reports and analysis for Executive Director and Treasurer as requested.
- Maintain Insurance files.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Required skills and knowledge
- Associate’s degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of accounting/bookkeeping experience, preferably in a non-profit environment.
- Strong Computer Skills – QuickBooks, Excel and Word a must.
- Database knowledge (or ability to learn quickly).
- Experience processing payroll with ADP preferred.
- Ability to communicate clearly with tact and professionalism, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and projects.
- Ability to think critically, troubleshoot and resolve problems.
- Ability to work effectively with a minimum of supervision.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Team Player, Excellent Customer Service Skills.