Young Judaea Sprout Brooklyn Day Camp, located in Red Hook, is a Hebrew dual-language camp for children entering Pre-K through 5th grade. Sprout Brooklyn is a place where children from a wide spectrum of backgrounds join together to create a joyful, diverse community built on Jewish values, a connection to Israel and the Hebrew language. No previous Hebrew experience is necessary to be part of the Sprout Brooklyn community.
The Program Director is a member of the summer Senior Leadership team and manages the smooth delivery of the daily program, special programs, and supervises all activity specialists . We are looking for a responsible, organized, creative, camp-loving individual for our Program Director role. This is an extraordinary opportunity to work collaboratively with a passionate and fun-loving team.
Sprout Brooklyn values staff that are positive and flexible team players who are excited to spend the summer with young campers and staff. The ideal candidate is excited about camp life and feels comfortable wearing multiple hats and will never say that a task “isn’t their job”.
Staff Training is TBD in mid- June. Camp runs from June 28 – August 18. Summer hours are Monday to Friday, approx. 8:00am – 5pm. There are approximately 40 flexible hours of pre-camp work beginning in the Spring.
- Summer Program:
- Support specialists in planning activities that incorporate weekly values and summer curriculum
- Ensure weekly plans are submitted or co-write them with all specialists
- Implement Values-Based and Israel Education Focused Curriculum
- Bring creative twists, fresh ideas, and age appropriateness to programming
- Schedule and Summer Calendar:
- Oversee summer calendar along with Assistant Director to plan for special events, visitors, and session transitions
- Build the daily and weekly schedule to ensure that each camper group visits each specialty area
- Coordinate space usage
- In collaboration with Director & Assistant Director, make and communicate decisions about location changes due to weather (or noise!) conditions
- Staff Supervision & Training:
- Manage approx 10 to 12 Specialists
- Be their ‘go-to’ person for ideas, problems, and questions
- Provide training and support on ‘classroom’ management, facilitating activity periods, program planning
- Regularly observe activity periods to provide feedback
- Hold regular meetings to help support planning and solicit feedback
- Evaluate all specialists and in partnership with Director & Assistant Director, make recommendations for both immediate action and the future
- Distribute Daily and Weekly Schedule
- Assign Breaks and coverage periods
- Find substitutions as need
- Cover a group or activity area as needed
- Navigate schedule conflicts or absences
- Ensure specialists are submitting regular updates & supply requests
- Special Programs & Events:
- Plan and oversee special camp-wide programs such as Maccabiah (Color War), thematic scavenger hunts and more.
- Coordinate schedule and programmatic needs for special events and performers
- Set-up camp wide programs (such as Kabbalat Shabbat, performances, special events)
- Serve as the point person for any visiting educators, vendors or performers
- Program Supplies:
- Collect supply orders from activity areas and deliver supplies as they arrive
- Track budget and spending
- Ensure supplies are returned, organized, and replenished
- Oversee inventory, unpacking and packing of program supplies
- Camp Leadership:
- Serve as the liaison between the Leadership Team and Specialists
- Connect with Unit Heads and/or Camp Social Worker should camper or counselor issues arise.
- Escalate to Director & Assistant Director as needed.
- Be an example, regular presence, mentor, and support for all members of the camp community
- Collaborate on coordinating staff appreciation
- Support and collaborate with Operations Director and Communications Director as needed on tasks such as arrival & departure, snack, lost & found, welcoming guests
- Help plan and implement Staff Orientation
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and senior staff meetings
- Actively Participate in camp life, including opening and closing assemblies
- Member of crisis management team in case of emergency
- BA or BS required
- A minimum of 4 summers as camp staff, ideally in a supervisory or administrative role
- Understands the big picture of camp while still having exceptional attention to detail
- Tech savvy. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Apps
- Flexible, Calm under pressure
- Creative Experiential Educator
- Relationship Builder, Good communicator
- BONUS: Hebrew fluency and Israel experience
- BONUS: CPR Certified or ability to become certified
- BONUS: Experience with children pre-K to 5th grade