Temple Shalom is a 600 family Reform synagogue in Newton, Massachusetts. We are an inclusive and caring community and deeply value collaboration and teamwork.
We are excited to welcome a new Clergy Administrative Assistant to our team. The Assistant works with our clergy (2 full-time rabbis, 1 part-time rabbi and 1 part-time cantor) to uphold and make possible the visions and priorities of Temple Shalom. The Clergy Assistant’s primary responsibility is to provide administrative support to the clergy and fulfill other administrative duties related to the support of the synagogue. The position requires efficiency, strong organizational skills, the ability to maintain confidentiality and the delivery of time-sensitive communication. Integral to this role is providing a warm and welcoming atmosphere to all synagogue members and the greater community.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that our clergy assistant will bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs. If you are looking to contribute to an organization where you can proudly bring your whole self to work, we invite you to apply today.
- Team player who values collaboration and is eager to be a supportive, creative and energetic member of a talented and dedicated staff
- Collaborate with rabbis and cantor and assist with various administrative tasks
- Maintain and coordinate each rabbi and cantor’s calendar and schedule appointments as needed
- Provide administrative support for all aspects of the synagogue’s B’Mitzvah program
- Review calendar on a regular basis to proactively identify needs and discuss/plan accordingly
- Filter requests, screens calls, greet guests
- Manage all clergy meeting logistics and support clergy sponsored events: identifying location, coordinating reservations, adhering to requirements, invitations, RSVPs, event management, etc.
- Compose/draft correspondence; data entry
- Support the delivery of life cycle and pastoral care to members
- Lifecycle management- process intake forms, certificates, update the synagogue’s relationship management system (via Shulcloud)
- Support Shabbat, holiday and High Holy Day planning and execution as assigned; in-person presence on the High Holidays essential
- Provide project management assistance as needed particularly leading up to and during the High Holidays
- Front line phones and reception on an as needed basis (not a primary job responsibility)
- Respond to general clergy inbox inquiries and proactively take action, filter requests and refer to appropriate person
- High degree of integrity, confidentiality, professionalism and reliability
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment independently
- Strong attention to detail and ability to plan and follow through
- Ability to look ahead and anticipate clergy needs
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written and communication skills
- High degree of enthusiasm, flexible attitude, and humor
- Able to work well under pressure while maintaining calm demeanor
- Strong email and phone etiquette
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Degree in administration or other relevant field preferred
- 2+ years’ administrative support experience or equivalent work
- Computer Skills: all Google applications including gmail, google sheets, drive, slides, forms. Comfort using Zoom. Database skills and the ability to learn to use Shulcloud - the temple’s information tracking system and website at a high level of proficiency.
- Interest and knowledge of synagogue life and Jewish ritual practice desired but not necessary
- The willingness and interest in learning any of the skills necessary to be successful
- This position will report to one of Temple Shalom's senior rabbis. Day to day oversight by Temple Shalom's executive director
- Preferred hours (can be negotiated): Tuesday through Thursday, 10-6. Fridays 9-3, Sundays 8:30 -1 (September through May when education programs are in session), Additional hours TBD when there is no education program
- occasional hours responding to emergency pastoral situations and additional hours during the High Holiday season
Please note the above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.