United Synagogue Youth (USY) is the premier Jewish teen engagement program for the
Conservative movement. Through our important work USY empowers Jewish youth to develop
friendships, leadership skills, a sense of belonging to the Jewish People, a deep engagement
with and love for Israel, and a commitment to inspire Jewish living through meaningful and fun
experiences based on the ideology of Conservative Judaism.
The Branch Director is the key lead position for USY’s new engagement initiative. The Branch
Director serves as an engagement leader executing and implementing key program
components of teen engagement and leadership that enhance USY’s mission and core values.
Working closely with teens, the Branch Director is responsible for creating and managing
impactful and meaningful engagement initiatives and programs.
Position reports to:
Director of Teen Engagement Department
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of this position include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Develop and implement programmatic goals related to teen engagement, learning and
- Manage, mentor and support teen Regional USY and Kadima leadership.
- Work closely together with teens to create impactful and meaningful programs.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of overnight and/or multi-day programming.
- Create yearly programming calendar.
- Monitor regional teen programs and activities so they comply with USY/Kadima
standards and policies (including safety/security, Jewish ritual, and learning).
- Oversee registration materials and backend process with Operations & System
- Provide Regpacks user support.
- Facilitate teen participation in USY’s International Convention.
- Foster and manage relationships with Regional volunteer staff and lay leadership.
- Empower and support teen leadership in planning and executing USY conventions.
- Implement the strategic vision for USY and Kadima.
- Develop and oversee program budgets and adhere to fiscal policies and procedures.
- Generate financial reports and program analysis.
- Manage event registration, scholarship process, payment plans and financial collection
in coordination with Systems & Finance Manager.
- Develop strategies to meet overall local and national fundraising goals.
- Manage local chapter scholarship process.
- Facilitate coordination with operations, systems, and finance staff in the New York office.
- Monitor operational backend for USY and Kadima together with the Operations and
Outreach and Recruitment
- Build relationships and partnership opportunities with local professionals, local
Conservative congregations and other Jewish organizations.
- Promote participation in USY/Kadima programming.
- Participate in overall plan to increase membership numbers and participation.
Ideal Candidate Key Qualities for Success in this Position:
- Strong leadership and organization skills
- Supervisory/people-management skills
- Budget planning and tracking
- Coaching skills
- Planning and implementation
- Relationship Building
- Conflict management
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Facilitation skills
- Knowledge of the Jewish tradition; demonstrated commitment to Conservative
Jewish living and/or interest in learning
- Experience working with teens
- Knowledge of mental health, safety and well-being for teens
- Minimum – degree from four year college or university
- Commitment to personal growth and ongoing education
Preferred Education and Experience
- At least 4 years’ experience working in related fields
- Degree in relevant field(s) including: Jewish Studies, Education, Business/Non-Profit
- Experience in planning large-scale events
- Supervisory experience
- Advanced training in a field that will enhance director’s ability to be of greater
service to youth and youth programs
Manages USY Branch Director(s) of Engagement and Engagement Associates
This position may operate in an office located within proximity to assigned regions. Location
may be on-site at a Conservative synagogue, a nearby USCJ office, or at a home office.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full time position, exempt from overtime, which will require some extended hours due to
evening and weekend conventions and meetings.
The position supports a geographic area comprising two or more USY regions. Must be able to
travel on a regular basis to Regional events. Position includes evening and weekend
responsibilities. Travel to the International Convention and occasional travel to USCJ staff
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Must have authorization to work in the U.S.
Valid passport and driver’s license
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
United States or Canadian Work Eligibility
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of
activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties,
responsibilities and activities may change from time to time.