From its core programs for children and adults with intellectual challenges in the Chicago area, to its international consulting work, Keshet serves over 1,000 individuals with disabilities and touches the lives of many more family members, peers, supporters, and other stakeholders around the globe.
Keshet’s local leadership, comprised of nearly 100 volunteer leaders from all walks of life, provide the inspiration, direction, and funding required to fulfill the organization’s mission: to do whatever is necessary to allow individuals with disabilities to achieve their potential. Keshet’s $10 million budget includes $5 million in state funding and program income, and greater than $3 million raised FY20-21 through the development department.
The Director of Development is a seasoned manager who will lead Keshet’s comprehensive fundraising efforts as the organization continues on its path of growth. The successful candidate will have a strong annual and major gifts background, will build and grow relationships and rapport with key stakeholders and funders, and will excel as a member of a team who develops supervisees. As a management level, core member of the administrative team, the Director of Development reports to and partners closely with the President & CEO and will initially supervise one direct report.
- Plan and execute annual campaign, steward and solicit a major gifts portfolio of $3,500-$9,999 donors, direct all strategy and planning aspects of Spring Gala (Gala 2022 is in process)
- Build and manage overlapping relationships with donors, prospective donors, families, board members and Keshet program staff
- Expand current comprehensive fundraising program by creating cultivation/stewardship opportunities, major gift initiatives and launching a corporate sponsorship program
- Oversee all solicitation and donor recognition
- Manage and mentor Individual Giving Manager, offering direction and support that ensures both effective results and engaged employees
- Partner with the CEO/President, Board members, families, Next Gen and
- Young Leadership Councils to enhance all development activities
- Build relationships with Keshet’s program directors whose work informs the case for giving for prospective and current donors
- Liaise with Business Office team on accounting for pledges, gift acceptance and donor recognition, and maintenance of development budgets
- Work with Board Development Committee; present updates to Board on fundraising goals, benchmarks, and achievements as needed
- Align all development activities with organizational priorities and strategic direction
- Collaborate with the communications team to develop a grants strategy focused on retention and expansion
Qualifications and Skills:
- 5-7 years professional fundraising and/or managerial experience
- Passion for Keshet’s mission
- Enthusiastic, outgoing member of a close knit in-office working team
- Proven ability to secure gifts of $3,500 + from existing and prospective donors, regularly moving donors through a pipeline toward increased giving
- Skilled in developing relationships with volunteer leadership and motivating volunteers to participate in fundraising
- Experience planning and executing fundraising events
- Understanding of the Chicagoland Jewish philanthropic community is a plus
- Knowledge of current nonprofit development trends and best practices
- Efficient project management, highly organized, ability to prioritize multiple requests and meet deadlines
- Exceptional written and presentation skills; ability to communicate to diverse audiences while tailoring messages to each audience
- High level of comfort with technology; experience with Microsoft suite and DonorPerfect a bonus
- Energetic team player with a positive attitude
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Discretion in the handling of sensitive donor and prospect information; exceptional judgment, maturity and leadership
To apply, please submit a resume & cover letter to Julie Lyss, Evolve Giving Group, [email protected]
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties may be assigned at any time.
Keshet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our employment practices are in accordance with the laws that prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran’s status, marital status, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable law.