Camp Ramah in California - Director of Development
We are looking for a senior professional to serve as Camp Ramah in California’s next Director of Development. The ideal candidate is someone who balances passion for Jewish summer camping and extensive development experience to further advance Ramah’s vision and mission.
Camp Ramah seeks a Director of Development to formulate fundraising strategies and execute tactics to support Ramah’s operational needs, growth, and long-term sustainability. The Director of Development is responsible for designing, implementing, and managing a comprehensive fundraising program to secure financial support for Camp Ramah in California. The role involves stewarding relationships with donors, overseeing fundraising campaigns, overseeing the department including donor communication and data base management, thereby contributing to Ramah’s financial stability and growth. The position reports to Ramah’s Executive Director, joins Ramah’s senior leadership team, joins a collaborative network of Ramah and Jewish camping development professionals, and works closely with lay leadership, giving societies and Ramah’s Board of Directors.
Position Details – DO
- Fundraising Strategy:
- Develop and execute a strategic fundraising plan that aligns with Ramah’s mission and annual budgeted goals.
- Support implementation of new Strategic Plan.
- Create and execute major campaign for Ramah’s 70th anniversary in 2026.
- Donor Cultivation and Stewardship:
- Build and expand relationships with existing donors, prospects, alumni, parents, and community members.
- Steward and expand major donor giving societies.
- Advance planned giving initiative to ensure long-term viability and vitality of Ramah in California
- Team and Ramah Leadership:
- Supervise and provide leadership to development staff and expand lay engagement/volunteer opportunities.
- Foster a collaborative and motivated fundraising team.
- Staff relevant board and lay leadership committees including Development.
- Compliance and Ethics:
- Ensure compliance with all relevant fundraising regulations and ethical standards.
- Uphold the highest level of confidentiality regarding donor information.
Position Details – OVERSEE
- Fundraising Campaigns:
- Oversee the planning and management of fundraising campaigns, including annual giving, capital campaigns, and special events.
- Grant Writing:
- Oversee grant management with key partners and identify additional grant support that matches Ramah’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Database and Financial Management:
- Oversee an accurate and functional donor database, effective reporting, track donor interactions, and update donor records.
- Oversee the collaboration with the development and finance teams to ensure timely and accurate management, reconciliation, and reporting.
- Manage development department budget.
- Events and Engagement:
- Oversee fundraising events including an annual gala or other major event and ongoing donor recognition gatherings.
- Coordinate and participate in donor meetings, site visits, and cultivation events.
- Responsible for all related vendor relationships.
- Oversee organizational strategic communication.
The Ideal Candidate
- Lover of Jewish camping
- A driven and proven leader
- Can comfortably toggle between high level strategy and professional operational details.
- Genuine passion for working in a team environment for something you believe in.
- Believes in the future of Ramah and its expanding role in the Jewish community.
Required and/or Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Strong connections in the Jewish community, and ability to work with a highly skilled team of camp professionals and lay leaders.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience
- Master’s degree is preferred with bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience developing annual organizational development strategies.
- Experience executing and overseeing diversified annual campaign.
- Experience and excitement in establishing strong genuine relationships with donors.
- Experience working with lay partners in development efforts.
- Knowledge of Jewish culture, history, and values. Familiarity with Hebrew is preferred.
- Ability to develop and manage a budget.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational, and personal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office and database management (RE NXT)
Camp Ramah offers a competitive and comprehensive compensation package, including: 403b, group health coverage, life insurance and LTD, and sick and vacation time. Salary is $135,000-$165,000 or commensurate with experience. The position is fulltime exempt.
Camp Ramah in California is headquartered in Encino, CA where we have our administrative office and on over 400 acres in Ojai, CA, where our residential summer camp has operated for nearly seventy years. We maintain a hybrid office schedule. Please note that being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Joe Menashe, Exec. Dir., [email protected]. Ramah is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability.
Our Vision and Mission
We dream of a more just world with many generations of proud, educated, and reflective Jews, deeply committed to their communities and the pursuit of vibrant Jewish life.
Camp Ramah in California creates lifelong relationships through joyful, welcoming, and immersive Jewish experiences rooted in Torah, Avodah, and Gemilut Hasadim.* Ramah is committed to the future of the Jewish community and betterment of the world.
- Torah – We cultivate a passion for lifelong Jewish learning and a commitment to our heritage and the wisdom of our people.
- Avodah – We create opportunities for joyful prayer and positive engagement in the richness of our rituals and mitzvot.
- Gemilut hasadim – We take active responsibility for each other and the world.
Camp Ramah is an American Camp Association accredited, coeducational, residential summer camp affiliated with the Conservative Movement and National Ramah Commission and operates under the educational auspices of the Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies at American Jewish University.