Washington Hebrew Congregation is a large, historic, Reform synagogue blessed with over 2000 families. We are seeking an Administrative Assistant who will work closely with our clergy team, specifically in the cantors’ office.
We are eager to find an organized and motivated individual who demonstrates professionalism and strives for excellence. Our ideal candidate has experience with customer service or an equivalent space, strong computer skills in Word, Excel, Office, and maybe even databases (we use Sales Force). This individual can effectively manage their time and work proactively, supportive the sacred work of our congregation.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Under the direction of the Cantors, assist in the preparation for and production of programs/services for musical services and concerts; manage registration and details of optional dinners.
- Schedule individual tutoring for B’nei Mitzvah students with cantors and prepare notebooks for each student to be handed out at the first tutorial.
- Schedule specific leadership duties pertaining to Shabbat services.
- Prepare weekly B’nei Mitzvah material for each student: orders Chumashim, B’nei Mitzvah and JNF tree certificates; complete all certificates and create personalized book plates for Chumashim.
- Assist in providing administrative support at various Shabbat services.
- Serve as staff liaison, under the direction of the Cantors, with the congregational choir.
- Serve as staff liaison with appropriate affinity groups; ensure the smooth operation of their programs by coordinating publicity, registration, and all financial aspects of events.
- Provide administrative support to the Cantors including, but not limited to, scheduling appointments, preparing correspondence and other handouts, communicating with congregants; manage finances for all expenditures and activities.
- High Holiday responsibilities as assigned.
- Provides End of Life Assistance and Coordination when scheduled. Schedule to be discussed and previously determined (this includes an evening and weekend rotation with other administrative staff).
- Work as part of a team to help promote staff morale and effectiveness.
This position is under the supervision of the Cantors. The Administrative Assistant receives regular and ongoing supervision. This includes, but is not limited to, goal setting, ongoing evaluation of progress, professional development opportunities and tons of support! This position is a great place to learn and grow, exercising strong organizational skills.
Candidates must hold a college degree or have relevant professional experience in an administrative environment. Self-awareness, attention to detail, and computer literacy are essential. A successful candidate will need to multi-task, communicate effectively and professionally, and maintain an organized and focused approach to the execution of the position’s responsibilities. As with all WHC staff, the candidate is expected to work as part of a team to create a professional atmosphere in the office and to serve the Temple’s constituencies with excellence. Experience working in a Jewish organization is not essential though may prove helpful.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. They will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their supervisor. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
*Compensation starting at $50,000 plus benefits - additional compensation commensurate with experience.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.