Eden Village West Assistant Director
Eden Village West is seeking an exceptional leader with experience in Jewish camp management and outdoor education to serve as our Assistant Director. This is a full-time, year-round position.
About Eden Village West
Eden Village West is an organic farm-to-table residential Jewish camp in Sonoma County, California with a 6-week overnight summer program as well as other farm programming throughout the spring and fall. Our 3rd-11th grade campers enjoy farming, wilderness and homesteading skills, culinary arts, music and sports as they become empowered to promote a more environmentally sustainable, socially just, and spiritually connected world for all. We inspire campers to reimagine food systems, feel at home in the natural world, and awaken their sense of positive Jewish identity, purpose, and joy.
The Assistant Director has a key leadership role in creating our camp program and culture, recruiting campers, communicating with families, supporting camp operations, and hiring, training, and supervising staff. We are a small team who collaborates on every component of our camp and non-profit operations. You will be engaged with every part of camp on some level. Specific day-to-day responsibilities and the core top-level responsibilities for this position will be determined based on the specific skill set of the successful candidate.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate most of the following:
- Passionate about our mission; desire to grow an organization rooted in camp’s values
- People skills to establish strong relationships with parents, campers, and staff; foster community and a sense of shared purpose and meaning; and create and maintain collaborative relationships with community partners
- High level of comfort and confidence in front of groups of children and parents
- Proven ability to effectively train, lead and manage staff
- Knowledge of social and emotional issues in child development
- The grit needed for growing a young camp; willingness to work long-hours and meet milestones
- Expertise in Jewish camp management and experiential education
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to successfully manage a multitude of projects with a keen attention to detail
- A track record of sound judgment and effective problem-solving in a fast-paced environment
- Capacity to manage budgets and meet financial targets
- Willingness to take on additional roles and responsibilities to accomplish a goal
- Background in farm, food, and/or outdoor education
- Desire and capacity to cultivate a pluralistic, inclusive, and kind Jewish community
- Desire to grow together with the organization over time
- Kind, enthusiastic, excited to try new things, generous, willing to be silly, flexible, creative, caring, and able to maintain a positive team attitude throughout a full work day
- Available to travel regularly throughout the West Coast region for recruitment; will also travel occasionally to seminars and conferences on the East Coast
- Preferred work location throughout the year is the Bay Area or Los Angeles. Other remote locations will be considered for especially strong candidates.
- Live in residence at camp in Healdsburg, California for the entire summer camp season June to the beginning of August
Compensation & Benefits
- Annual salary range of $60,000-72,000, depending on experience and location. The higher end of the range is reserved for candidates based in California.
- Salary will be adjusted according to our professional staff salary scale for those whose professional experience greatly exceeds the posted requirements. If you meet some of the requirements, but not all, we encourage you to apply. The salary offered will be commensurate with our professional staff salary scale, which may be less than the posted salary
- Benefits package including generous paid time off, federal and Jewish holidays, health insurance, funded FSA, retirement contributions, parental leave, yearly professional development funds, flexible schedule, and work-from-home option
Hiring Process & Timeline
- Applications will be reviewed as received.
- We hope for the new Assistant Director to start in the role by January 15th, 2024 at the latest. If you would require a different start date, please indicate so in your cover letter.
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and a short, informal cover letter to [email protected] with subject “Assistant Director - NAME.”
In your cover letter, tell us why Eden Village of all places is interesting to you, your experience, and share about your passions. The cover letter should be informal. We will also accept video cover letters, if that’s more your thing.
At Eden Village Camp, we know that diversity supports resilience. On our farm, in our gardens, and throughout the natural world, diversity is what allows every living thing to thrive. Eden Village Camp approaches all that we do, including hiring, with this mindset.
Eden Village Camp recognizes the internal and external biases that often prevent or delay candidates holding marginalized identities from applying for positions. We deeply value the insight, perspective & experience brought by people from diverse backgrounds, including Black, Indigenous, Latine and Asian people; LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people; people with disabilities; Black Jews, Jews of Color, Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews. We also welcome applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, and cultural backgrounds.
We encourage all who are interested in making the magic of Eden Village come to life to apply.