The Forward is seeking a responsible and resourceful person interested in digital media to work side-by-side with its editor-in-chief on strategy, operations, new initiatives and her weekly newsletter. This year-long fellowship is a great opportunity for an omnivorous learner and dextrous doer. It is a full-time position, represented by the News Guild, with a salary of $37,304 and generous benefits.
This is not a reporting and writing job, though there may be occasional opportunities in those realms. It is, instead, a front-row seat to the challenges of digital nonprofit journalism, a chance to participate in real time in the transformation of a venerable legacy institution into an innovative, modern, essential outlet for news and conversation.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about digital journalism and also about the Jewish world. Nimbleness and ability to juggle multiple assignments is a must, as is humility and humor. The fellow should be someone who thinks and moves quickly, researches widely, writes cleanly, communicates professionally, works collaboratively and has a strong sense of mission. Social-media savvy is a must; fluency with audience/analytics tools a plus; eagerness to learn new skills/tools and independently find solutions to problems essential.
- Supporting the editor’s weekly column/newsletter, including quick-turn research, proofreading and production
- Managing inbox of reader feedback, communicating with audiences on behalf of editor and team and spearheading callouts to readers on various topics
- Editing/producing column and behind-the-scenes newsletter for “A Bintel Brief” podcast
- Curating and creating weekly printable magazine of the week’s top stories
- Helping the editor / team prepare for, program, plan and promote events
- Preparing material for internal and external presentations
- Surveying competitive landscape and other research/analysis for new initiatives
- Curating content from other sources for roundups/publication
- Digging into audience data to understand trends and find opportunities, compiling analytics reports
- Proofreading, sourcing photos and handling production for articles on forward.com and creating content for social media channels
- Assisting in recruiting contributors across our diverse communities
- Developing partnership programs to engage members of Jewish organizations
The Forward, founded in 1897 as a daily Yiddish broadsheet, is the nation’s leading Jewish journalism outlet, now publishing in English and Yiddish at forward.com. It is an independent, reader-supported nonprofit, run by the Forward Association, and committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in coverage, staffing and culture. Applicants need not be Jewish.
To apply, please send resume, five clips, a one-page pitch for the gig and contact information for three references to [email protected]. Subject line: Editorial Fellow