Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to transforming, inspiring and saving lives in the Palm Beaches and 70 countries around the world. Each year, Jewish Federation inspires thousands of community members to contribute, volunteer and participate in programs that generate more than $30 million to leading a powerful impact in the community.
The Community Navigator’s responsibility is to enhance our community’s capacity both to support and create a sense of belonging for individuals with disabilities and their families. The Community Navigator will be a community-wide resource who collaborates across organizations and agencies to address and monitor opportunities for the meaningful inclusion of people with disabilities in Jewish life. The Community Navigator will be critical to the forward movement of creating and implementing a 5-7-year strategic plan for our community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates and progresses the Jewish Disabilities Network (JDN). JDN is a collaborative initiative of Jewish agencies, organizations and synagogues working together to create an inclusive community for people with differing abilities of all ages and their families.
- Works with JDN Committee, comprised of both lay and professional leaders, and a strategic planning consultant to create and to implement a 5–7-year strategic plan for the community.
- Convenes meetings and maintains and strengthens working relationships with lay leaders and other cohorts of individuals, including professionals in various settings: early childhood, congregational and day school, youth groups, human services, JCC,
- Works collaboratively with community partners to coordinate inclusive communal events including Jewish Disabilities Awareness, Acceptance, and Inclusion Month (JDAIM), holiday celebrations, and cultural
- Works in partnership with community lay leaders, congregations, agencies, and schools both to strengthen their inclusion programs and to create and implement innovative new opportunities for inclusion of individuals with disabilities and their
- Collaborates with other departments within Federation and help ensure that events are planned with an inclusive eye, promote inclusion within Federation, and liaise with the greater Palm Beach Community and Federation’s partner agencies and programs.
- Provides training and support for Federation department programming, both internally and
- Works closely with Federation’s Special Needs Education Community Coordinator.
- Represents the community and Federation at local and national forums, organizational meetings, and trainings to benefit the growth and enhancement of this service
- Serves as a “concierge” and initial contact/resource and referral for Jewish disability opportunities/adaptations/processes for the greater Palm Beach community.
- Works closely with Federation’s other “concierge” programs such as PJ Library and Jewish Volunteer Center.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Success Factors:
- Bachelor’s degree in special education, social work, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Two or more years’ experience working with people with disabilities, implementing programs for people with disabilities, and/or working with families of people with disabilities or equivalent combination of relevant education, experience and skills required.
- Experience working in a Jewish environment preferred.
- Expertise regarding community-based disability
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Excellent customer service skills required, including professional phone presence.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Strong knowledge of basic office computing, including MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams), Zoom, and basic database skills required.
- Knowledgeable and up to date on Florida State benefits, programs, and resources, and with offerings vis a vis disability inclusion in the Jewish community on a local and national level.
- Well organized and self-directed.
- Grant writing skills
- Willingness to partner with professional staff to achieve overall organizational goals.
- Must be able to pass Level 1 background check.
- Must be able to work off-shift hours including nights and weekends, as needed.
Position is eligible to work from home occasionally in accordance with Federation policies. When working from home, employee must:
- Follow all Federation policies and procedures,
- Be available to other employees during Federation’s normal business hours,
- Not work from a public place (e.g. coffee shop, library, etc.) and/or join a public, unsecure wi-fi network when working with sensitive or confidential information,
- Coordinate with IT department to maintain appropriate computer equipment and connectivity.
The Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee from time to time at the Federation’s discretion. Employment is at-will, and this job description is not an employment contract and nothing herein shall be deemed to create in any way whatsoever an employment contract.
To apply online, please visit our career’s page. Or email your resume and cover letter to: [email protected].
NO CALLS, PLEASE.