Hebrew Seminary is a unique, pluralistic, egalitarian rabbinical school for Deaf and hearing people of all genders. Founded in 1992 by Rabbi Dr. Douglas Goldhamer to meet the needs of all Jewish communities, especially those traditionally underserved, its mission is to prepare students as rabbis and Jewish educators to serve all Jewish communities, including the Deaf community. Our program encourages the highest commitment to traditional scholarship, such as Bible, Talmud, Hebrew, Jewish philosophy, and Kabbalah. This teaches our students to be scholars, educators, and leaders, as well as spiritual guides who can experience and share the voice of God with members of their communities.
Reporting to the President, the Part-Time Administrator will support day-to-day operations, including daily office operations, accounts receivable and payable, maintaining contact information, processing and tracking donations, and assisting in the development and monitoring of the annual budget. The Administrator also will work with the Development and Communications Manager to manage website updates, and plan and implement Seminary events and outreach. A strong candidate will have a minimum of 2-4 years of administrative or bookkeeping experience, including work with Excel and QuickBooks, and/or similar software packages. This self-starter will be proactive, well-organized, and detail-oriented, with the ability to work independently and meet deadlines. Most position functions can be performed remotely on a flexible schedule. Certain functions will require on-site presence in or around our Chicagoland office.
- Manage office operations, including mail, email and phone communications.
- Manage accounts receivable, billing, and reporting, including tuition billing and payments.
- Manage ADP payroll system and run periodic payroll reports.
- Assist in creation and tracking of annual budget in coordination with the Treasurer, President, and Board of Directors; review operating costs and suggest cost-saving measures.
- Work with outside accounting firm and Treasurer to ensure proper filing of tax returns and other government filings.
- Manage and track donations and donor information, and send donation acknowledgements.
- Maintain up-to-date lists for external and internal Seminary contacts.
- Work with Development and Communications Manager to manage and update website with current content.
- Support planning, execution, and follow-up for Seminary events and outreach, including webinars and programming.
- A minimum of 2-4 years of administrative and/or bookkeeping experience, including work with such programs as Excel, QuickBooks, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and WordPress.
- Excellent organizational skills, creative, and ability to problem-solve and prioritize tasks.
- Strong written, verbal and listening skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team of diverse people.
- Commitment to Hebrew Seminary’s mission.
- Proficiency in American Sign Language or interest in learning a plus.
This part-time position of between 15-20 hours per week pays $20-$25 per hour, depending on experience.
To apply please send cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
Hebrew Seminary is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
As an equal opportunity employer, Hebrew Seminary strongly encourages applications from individuals with varied identities and backgrounds. This position will remain open until we have a diverse pool of candidates.