Senior Development Executive
Western Region (Remote based in Northern California)
American Friends of Magen David Adom (AFMDA) has exclusively retained Sterling Search, Inc. to find its next Senior Development Executive, Western Region (SDE).
AFMDA is a partner in the vital work MDA does every day for Israel’s 9.2 million population by funding a wide variety of emergency vehicles, a new national blood center, critically needed medical supplies, and rigorous EMT training. AFMDA is among the fastest-growing organizations in Jewish nonprofit.
Magen David Adom is Israel’s national ambulance, blood-services, and disaster-relief organization, as well as Israel’s representative to the International Red Cross. AFMDA supports Magen David Adom’s efforts to save lives in Israel with donations from the United States. AFMDA is at the cutting edge of their field and have almost completed fundraising for a state of the art underground National Blood Center to safeguard Israel’s vital blood supply. And like many of the hospitals in Israel, AFMDA is inclusive and serves people from all ethnic and religious backgrounds. The blood center also includes a breast milk bank for which the organization received a $3M gift. Construction for the Marcus National Blood Services Center will be completed in early 2022 and celebrated at the dedication in April 2022.
AFMDA’s work has also been crucial during the coronavirus pandemic, serving the frontline workers keeping Israelis safe and healthy. AFMDA equips Israel’s paramedics with training, supplies, and personal protective equipment and keeps ambulances and mobile intensive care units running. They are also proud of becoming a leader in testing for COVID-19 in Israel and implemented a new Telemedicine system so that many services can now be delivered virtually.
AFMDA values its staff and encourages collaboration and professional development. Most recently when the CEO announced his departure, AFMDA recognized the excellent internal talent and appointed Catherine Reed, its Chief Development Officer, to become the new CEO in early 2021. Click here to visit the American Friends of Magen David Adom Website
AFMDA raises about $47.7 million annually. The United States fundraising has been divided into 4 regions. The Senior Development Executive (SDE) reports into the Director of Strategic Philanthropy for the Western Region, which is currently raising close to $5 million annually.
The SDE will be responsible for a significant portfolio of wealth-screened and engaged prospects and donors in the Western Region, primarily in the Northern California community. He or she will need to be a self-starter ready to proactively begin outreach and hit the ground running. Additionally, the successful candidate will have the seasoning and experience to segment and prioritize a donor portfolio. The ideal candidate will have fundraised in major metropolitan areas in the Northern California community, bringing an understanding of the Jewish philanthropic landscape, be a team-player, and possess confidence and drive.
AFMDA is poised for momentous growth, having put forth significant effort to build up their donor base. The new SDE will have a tremendous opportunity to build upon the momentum already established and be a part of this critical, meaningful work in a highly visible region for the organization.
The Senior Development Executive will be responsible for raising support for AFMDA through prospect identification, donor and prospect cultivation, face-to-face, written and virtual solicitations, proposals to individuals and foundations, and parlor meetings and major events in their designated area. The successful candidate is expected to raise gifts at the five-figure and higher level to achieve area goals.
Essential Job Functions:
· Identify, cultivate, and successfully solicit and steward major gift prospects and donors to foster gifts at the five-figure gift level and higher for both the annual and capital campaigns
· Organize and execute area fundraising and cultivation events such as corporate and professional events, parlor meetings and special events to raise awareness and contributions for AFMDA
· Create and execute a plan to broaden and engage his/her prospect pool at the leadership and major giving levels
· Promote AFMDA’s Legacy Giving program through the identification of prospects and collaboration with the planned giving team
· Identify and develop effective lay leaders for roles in leadership, prospect identification and cultivation, and fundraising events and activities
· Cultivate and maintain community outreach and relationships
· Identify potential speakers for activities and/or events
· Conduct donor research to identify prospects and support cultivation efforts
· Participate in special assignments or projects as assigned
· Frequent local and regional travel
Education & Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree required
· Minimum of 5-7 years of progressive direct fundraising experience required
· Must have a strong knowledge of donor cultivation and solicitation and proven ability to solicit and close five-figure and higher gifts
· High integrity and diplomatic skills to function within a complex international organization
· Strong interpersonal skills and comfort in interfacing with donors
· Must have excellent writing and verbal communications skills
· Must have excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office and Internet) and comfort working with donor database programs, Raisers Edge preferred
· Proven success in planning large fundraising events
· Must be able to work strategically within a team structure as well as independently, multi-task and work under tight deadlines
· Dependability, good time management and strong organizational skills are a must
· Experience with developing and maintaining productive working relationships with board members, donors, and staff
· Knowledge of Israel is a plus
· A demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build public support, to develop and strengthen fundraising infrastructure, to inspire staff, to develop strong working relationships with volunteer leadership, and to develop effective fundraising programs.
· A strategic approach to development, with significant experience in cultivating and managing major donors.
· A record of quantifiable success in donor segmentation, research, and cultivation.
· Demonstrated ability to plan, set goals and objectives, organize, and implement to completion.
· A strong interpersonal and communication skill set and demonstrated ability to work effectively with and gain the respect and support of varied and changing constituencies
including staff, volunteer leadership, existing and potential donors, volunteers, and other key stakeholders.
· A track record as an effective communicator skilled at writing and public speaking; adept at writing proposals, solicitation letters, donor correspondence, and other types of materials to enhance fundraising.
· Ability to juggle many responsibilities at once and to operate both independently and with the flexibility to be part of a team.
· Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment with complex and evolving relationships and priorities.
· Ability to work independently, take initiative, and exercise discretion and judgment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. American Friends of Magen David Adom’s management reserves the right to amend and change
American Friends of Magen David Adom is an equal employment employer.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate. The salary will be commensurate with experience.
Please send resumes to:
Sterling Search, Inc.
Call/Text: 310 909 4897
TO APPLY CLICK HERE: www.sterlingsearchinc.com/afmda-1
Direct all correspondence, emails, and telephone calls to Sterling Search, Inc.