Since 1960, Camp Ramah in Canada has transformed the lives of more than 10,000 young people, developing Jewish leaders and strengthening our community.
Camp Ramah in Canada is situated on a picturesque piece of property on a beautiful lake located in the Muskoka region of Southern Ontario. The Camp provides outstanding programs on the waterfront, in sports and outdoor adventure, and in the arts – all within the context of a vibrant, fun, and caring Jewish community.
Camp Ramah in Canada empowers young people to become more independent, to gain an appreciation of nature and the great outdoors, and to develop important individual and team skills. At the same time, by combining a love for camping with meaningful Jewish experiences, Ramah also instills in its campers a love of Judaism, the Jewish people, and the state of Israel.
Camp Ramah in Canada operates with the educational guidance of the National Ramah Commission and the Jewish Theological Seminary of America and is governed by the Camp Ramah in Canada Committee.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the successful candidate will take the lead in building relationships with campers, their families and the Ramah community. Working in partnership with a co-director, the successful candidate will oversee day-to-day operations of camp, with a particular focus on managing the health and wellbeing of the campers. They will be a champion of wellbeing and will lead the culture of inclusion and belonging at camp.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic leader with exceptional communication and relationship skills, a demonstrated history of working with children and their families, and
strategic vision and execution. They will have a passion for the Camp Ramah movement, community building and, in particular, a passion for camper care in the context of Jewish camping.
- Develops and implements the camper care and wellbeing strategies both at camp and year round
- Fosters deep relationships with campers, sets behavioural expectations and oversees and engages in progressive camper discipline, as necessary
- Builds relationships with families with the goal of understanding camper needs and creating an effective home/camp partnership, through regular, timely and effective communication
- Community engagement including development
- Stewards the camper recruitment and intake process
- Manages the mental health and medical staff; provides coaching, feedback, and performance management
- Creates or approves policies and procedures, ensuring they meet or exceed compliance requirements and best practice standards
- Consistently stays up-to-date on developments in the field of camper care, bringing forward any innovations or changes, with a particular focus on wellbeing
- Leads by example and is a role model for staff, campers, and the Camp Ramah in Canada community
QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Committed to the Jewish values and lifestyle of Camp Ramah in Canada
- Education and/or work experience consistent with camper care
- 5+ years of experience in a youth-oriented leadership role, preferably within a camp or school
- Experience with managing and coaching a diverse team
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain lasting relationships
- Sound strategic and analytical thinking skills
- Highly organized with strong communication, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
- Ability to identify issues and implement creative and strategic solutions to overcome problems
- Has strong financial acuity with budget preparation and management
This is a full-time, year round position with summers spent at Camp Ramah in Canada. Applicants must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally. Applicants must be fully vaccinated according to Camp Ramah in Canada policy.
HOW TO APPLY
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting their cover letter and resume as one document to [email protected]. The posting will remain open until the position is filled, and consideration of candidates will begin in November 2022. We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary range: $125,000 - $150,000
A meaningful compensation and benefits package will be developed for the successful candidate.
Preferred start date is February 1, 2023 (flexible)