The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington?envisions an open, connected, and vibrant Jewish community that cares for each other, fosters Jewish learning and journeys, embraces Jewish peoplehood and Israel, and acts as a force for good in the world. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, we work to inspire, build, and sustain vibrant Jewish life in a changing world by mobilizing our community in common purpose, intentional innovation, and effective action. To achieve this vision and mission, our strategic plan identifies a core pillar of our work as serving as a center for community thought leadership & action that develops a deep cohort of lay leaders in Federation, and lay and professional leaders across the community, who have a shared vision for the community, networks, and commitment to community responsibility. A key component of this work is Federation’s own Board of Directors, Executive Committee and other governance structures. Learn more at?shalomdc.org.?
Candidates should be located in or willing to relocate to the Greater Washington (DC, MD, and Northern VA) region. This position is eligible for a hybrid work arrangement, with 2-3 days a week required in our headquarters or a Northern Virginia field office. The health and safety of our professional team and community remains a top priority, and all Federation employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
The Governance & Leadership Coordinator reports directly to the Chief of Staff (COS) and works closely with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Assistant Director of Jewish Leadership & Learning (JLL), other inter-departmental Federation professionals, and key lay leaders, to coordinate the operations of Federation’s Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Nominations Committee and other governance processes.
The Federation’s Board of Directors is a large community-based board of 130 members, reflecting the breadth of the Jewish community of Greater Washington, including agency presidents, rabbinic leadership, and other lay leaders representing geographic, demographic and identity-based diversity. The Board meets five times a year to engage the breadth of diverse leaders in the boardroom in generative thinking to collectively confront the biggest issues facing our community, as well as fulfilling enumerated fiduciary responsibilities, such as voting on allocations and the Federation budget. The Executive Committee of 18 Officers meets approximately monthly to address day-to-day governance and fiduciary responsibilities. The Governance & Leadership Coordinator is responsible for ensuring these governance meetings run smoothly and effectively, including preparation of materials, technical coordination of both in-person and online meetings, and coordination of meeting follow-up.
Additionally, the Governance & Leadership Coordinator takes a leadership role in managing and leading Federation’s Leadership & Nominations Committee, which is responsible for identifying and recommending new leaders for Federation’s Board and committee, and has been endeavoring to tap into a breadth of expanded networks to make important strides in broadening the diversity of the Board, by age, geography, and personal identities such as LGBTQ+, Jews of Color, interfaith families, religious denominations, people who identify as disability self-advocates, and other “differences that make a difference” in our Jewish spaces. The Governance & Leadership Coordinator is also responsible for managing Federation’s extensive efforts underway to inculcate a culture of belonging on the Board and in other governance structures at Federation.
The ideal candidate is personable, detail-oriented, and technically-savvy, and must enjoy working collaboratively in a fast-paced entrepreneurial and results-oriented environment. They must also exercise the highest level of good judgment and discretion in a variety of situations and bring strong communication, administrative, organizational and technical skills.
Board Support, Documentation and Liaison
- Provide a bridge for smooth communication and collaboration within and between the President/CEO/COS’s office and internal departments, maintaining credibility, trust, and support; communicate on behalf of the President and CEO with Board members, partner organization leadership, staff, and other stakeholders such as updates on programmatic areas, good and welfare, and obituaries of relatives to Board members.
- Serve as a liaison between the Board and Federation professional staff, representatives of the community, and the general public by fielding incoming calls, answering questions, clarifying information, responding to requests, resolving problems, or referring callers to other appropriate staff.?
- Create and maintain an efficient, organized and accessible documentation system, and ensure the integrity of all Board documents. Update and maintain the Board and Executive Committee contact lists in donor database, and diligently track Board member’s terms of office?and participation records. Maintain current biographical, demographic, and skills/interest data on Board members.
- Act as custodian of records and ensure that the records of the Board are maintained and filed as required by law and made available when required by authorized persons (finance department, Audit Committee, etc.). These records include founding documents, (e.g., by-laws, articles of incorporation), lists of directors, Board and Executive Committee meeting minutes, financial reports, and other official records.
- Stay up-to-date on current trends and best practices in board governance to provide recommendations when appropriate.
- Maintain highest levels of discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all Board members and in handling sensitive and confidential information.
- Create and maintain the complex governance calendar and book of business, and provide executive level support by planning and coordinating meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and assist in carrying out its activities.
- Work in partnership with the COS to prepare all meeting logistics, including developing agendas, meeting announcements and reminders, and briefing and follow-up materials.
- Manage the Board’s electronic portal with timely preparation and distribution of advance reading material, action items, resources, and updates to ensure transparency and member preparedness.
- Work with Events team to prepare for in-person meetings. Provide on-site support for in-person meetings, including serving as greeter and track attendance for quorum and measurement purposes.
- Manage all logistics for electronic meetings via Zoom, including registration page, polls, breakout rooms, and assist with providing support in the delivery of presentations.
- Draft letters and reports, with attention to accuracy and timeliness. Ensure that accurate minutes of meetings are recorded, distributed, and approved by the Board and Executive Committee in accordance with legal requirements, including tracking of action items and decisions, and are properly stored.
- Anticipate and follow up on outstanding agenda items, taking action to ensure information is provided to the members in a timely manner.
- Work with VP of Leadership & Volunteer Development, Assistant Director of JLL and other key lay leaders to identify annual leadership priorities and goals, and implement initiatives aimed at cultivating a culture of belonging within the Board and on committees.?
- Manage the Leadership & Nominations Committee in identify prospects, conducting leadership conversations, and ultimately building a robust and diverse pipeline of volunteer leaders.
- Work with the?Assistant Director of JLL and the Key Relationships Team to develop systems and processes for identifying, tracking, and developing a bank of high potential volunteer leaders who bring a breadth of skills, connections, leadership attributes and diverse perspectives to Federation Board and committees.
- Advance efforts to develop Federation’s Board and Executive Committee by working with the?Assistant Director of JLL to bring leadership development opportunities to Board members and supporting relational engagement efforts with individual Board members and other lay leaders.
- Update and maintain the Board Manual and coordinate orientation for new board members, as well as ongoing education for all board members in understanding their roles and responsibilities.
- Develop metrics and evaluation systems to monitor participation at Board meetings and impact of engagement initiatives.
- Create, manage, and analyze the Demographic and Network Mapping Survey at the beginning of the year to identify members’ skills, areas of expertise, and interests, as well as the End-of-the-Year Board Survey to find opportunities for improvement.
- Undertake other duties and special projects, as assigned and depending on interests and skills.
- Manage registration to events/programs including working on registration page, donor database integration, marketing needs, forms, and other support materials.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Education & Experience:?Bachelor’s degree. Minimum three (3) years’ experience of professional administrative experience. Prior non-profit, executive, governance, and volunteer operations experience preferred. Experience with meeting coordination, preparing agendas, meeting packages, and tracking policies and procedures is required. Understands the principles of good governance and can communicate them clearly.
- Technical:?High proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Zoom and Teams is required. Proficiency Adobe Acrobat and CRM databases is preferred. Strong technical problem-solving skills with standard computer network issues required. Comfortable with and open to learning new technology. Experience with data collection practices and a strong ability to translate data into actionable insights.
- Organization skills:?Able to support extremely busy, highly professional individuals in a fast-paced environment. Takes initiative by anticipating and prioritizing needs based on importance and urgency, stays focused, and meets tight deadlines. Ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, exhibit sound judgment, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities. Able to perform secretarial and administrative duties with deliberate speed and accuracy and without immediate and constant supervision.?
- Communication and stakeholder relations skills: Strong communication, interpersonal, and relationship-building skills. Excellent follow-up and problem-solving skills with ability to make intuitive decisions. Experience in internal and external communications; solid organizational and interpersonal skills. Able to exercise diplomacy, tact, discretion, and good judgment in recognizing scope of authority and in protecting confidential information. Is an advocate of open, honest, and consistent communication.?
- Writing skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to proper grammar and spelling. Strong written communication skills and ability to draft correspondence and other documentation. Previous meeting minute taking is highly desirable.
- Jewish Connection: Strong personal interest in, commitment to, and passion for the Federation’s mission and vision. Understanding of the Jewish community organizational ecosystem, and familiarity of Jewish customs and practices preferred but not required.
A People-Friendly Workplace
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington is an equal opportunity employer offering people friendly environment, including:
- Excellent health care and retirement benefits
- Generous time off
- Potential for hybrid work arrangement
- Opportunities and an annual stipend for continued professional development
- Access to the JPRO Network, which connects, educates, inspires, and empowers professionals working in the Jewish nonprofit sector
In building our professional team, Federation strives to model our vision of an inclusive community and vibrant future. As an equal opportunity employer, we invite and encourage applications from all candidates of all backgrounds and identities. We know that no applicant's experience will align 100% with the listed qualifications. Don't let that hold you back! We encourage you to apply and look forward to meeting you.