University Synagogue [US] is the only Synagogue in Orange County affiliated with Reconstructing Judaism. Founded in 1987, US has approximately 500 member households. US plans to hire an Executive Director [ExecDir], reporting to the President.
OBJECTIVES: The key responsibilities for this position are described in relation to the following objectives.
- Membership Services (including engagement, recruitment, retention): Create a comprehensive plan to grow US membership by at least 10% annually for next 3 years, and improve retention.
- Office Administration: Oversee all office and administrative functions to efficiently and effectively deliver services to the congregation, leadership and clergy.
- Staff Management: Manage all office and facilities staff, and act as a resource for problem solving, and handling member issues.
- Marketing and Growth: Articulate a “Value Proposition” outlining why US is unique and the best choice for those seeking affiliation. Oversee the development of a marketing approach, media, collateral, to attract prospective members.
- Technology Management: Optimize all technology utilization, ensuring integration in relevant US functions, and improvements to operating efficiency. Ensure that ShulCloud app is fully functional.
- Liaison to Executive Committee, Board, and Rabbi: Establish and maintain a strong liaison role with the President, Executive Committee, Board of Directors, Clergy, and lay leaders.
- Fundraising and Development: Utilizing a knowledge of best practices in fundraising, coordinate a comprehensive approach to fundraising.
- Communications (internal and external, including social media): Develop a communications plan and approach that ensures organized, coordinated, consistent, timely, and, accurate communications.
- Financial Management: Working with the Treasurer and outside accounting service, ensure accurate budgeting and financial management.
In addition to the above detailed objectives, the ExecDir will also be responsible for: Facilities management; volunteer coordination; coordination with pre-school, religious school, education tenant and church tenant; event logistics and planning; leadership development; and, strategic planning.
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE: The ideal candidate will have the following background:
- 10+ years in a top management role in a non-profit organization.
- 5+ years in the top role in a Synagogue, ideally with large (300+ members) Synagogue experience.
- Strong experience with technology needed to successfully run a nonprofit. Experience with ShulCloud software is strongly preferred.
- Financial management understanding required, including financial statements, use of excel, etc.
- Understanding of fundraising best practices in a similar environment.
- Bachelors’ degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
PERSONALITY AND CHARACTER TRAITS: Exceptional communication skills; attention to detail; thick-skinned (adapts well to change); personable, compassionate and empathetic; proactive and tenacious.
REPLY WITH RESUME TO: Mark Bregman, Chair of Search Committee / [email protected]