Organization Summary: The Baltimore Zionist District's mission is to foster knowledge and understanding of the state of Israel, facilitate dialogue, raise awareness, advocate for a secure future for Israel, and nurture the bonds between our community and Israel.
BZD Israel Teen Trip: BZD’s Israel Teen Trip is geared towards teens entering 9th – 12th grade and is one of the longest-running trips to Israel on the East Coast. In addition to taking teens on a 30+ day trip, the BZD subsidizes its trips by nearly 50%, ensuring that all teens have a chance to experience Israel from top to bottom at a reasonable cost.
Dates and Availability: The trip begins Jul 6th and runs through August 5th, 2022, with departures via bus to Newark airport from Baltimore, MD. The trip duration is 32 days.
Essential Position Responsibilities Include (and are not limited to):
- Execute role as BZD staff with the highest level of customer service and participant care
- Contact program participants before the start of the program to make a personal connection and answer questions.
- Capture group photos, send them to BZD staff, and prepare weekly updates for participant families.
- Assist participants on arrival/departure day at Newark Airport
- Ensure participants are following program safety guidelines; identify situations where special medical attention is necessary
- Able to responsibly stay with the group in case of medical or another emergency
- Serve as a role model for participants as a Jewish adult
- Assist with daily logistical needs (including but not limited to rooming assignments, supporting medical concerns, programming logistics, helping participants with unique dietary requirements, etc.)
- Maintain community atmosphere (orderliness, timeliness, organization, lost-and-found, etc.)
- Elevate any mental, social, or medical emergencies to the supervisor or site staff.
- Provide comfort, support, and compassion for all participants during the program duration
- Ensure that the program participants are forming a socially cohesive group while working to discourage cliques and address any cases of social alienation
- Translate past Jewish experiences into learning opportunities for participants and serve as an informal resource for Jewish programming
- Help facilitate programming for participants.
- Facilitate, icebreakers, and other various aspects of building communal life
- Collaborate with BZD Shlicha as well as with the Trip Guide before the start of the program
- Participate in staff meetings before the start of the trip – beginning in June
- Participate in RootOne training online before the trip
Responsibilities & Qualifications:
- The candidate must be 23 or at least five years removed from high school at the start of the summer.
- Significant international or domestic travel experience, including meaningful time in complex and high-level travel scenarios
- Extensive leadership experience, preferably working with teenagers
- Strong Jewish identity preferred
- Ability to work long hours within a team setting and function on limited sleep
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Candidates should be comfortable working as part of a cohesive staff team.
- Candidates should be able to set a positive tone throughout the program and establish an appropriate close relationship with the participants, including maintaining a proper level of authority and respect.
- Candidates with a clear understanding of the program's educational goals and preparedness to act as informal Jewish educators during the program are preferred.
$1400 - $1800: All trip expenses paid (including Air, hotels, food, tips, and transfers). Personal expenses will be at the employee’s discretion.
*Salary range is based upon age and experience
* Must be a US citizen - Must travel to and from Newark airport with our teens.
If you have any questions about the application or the process, please contact [email protected]
On behalf of the entire BZD staff, we sincerely appreciate your interest in the summer program and helping to make this life-changing trip for our teens. The BZD Staff.