Our client, the Jewish Community Council of Greater Coney Island www.jccgci.org seeks an experienced CFO to elevate their Finance team; automate A/P processes and improve financial reporting and analytics capabilities. The ideal CFO is someone who likes to roll up their sleeves and dig into the details and systems to understand the mechanics of the organization, and equally comfortable in the boardroom discussing strategy with other executives.
The CFO will lead a team of 10-12 people and be responsible for every facet of the organization’s finances including: accounts payable, cash management, closings and reconciliations, financial reporting and analytics, taxes, and cost savings.
This is a full-time, in-office, job.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of organization against term operational goals, budgets, and forecasts
- Identify, acquire, and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by business unit, forecast vs. budget, and cash flow
- Oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations
- Develop and maintain monthly operating budget and annual company operating budget
- Create/lead financial planning and analysis department
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls, and financial procedures
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state, and federal tax returns.
- Manage cash flow planning process and ensure funds availability
- Represent company to funding sources, banks, financial partners, institutions, auditors, and public officials.
- Utilize modeling and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight
- Serve as a key member of executive leadership team
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or Finance; CPA strongly preferred; MBA and/or MPA a plus but not required.
- 5 years’ experience as a CFO or in Finance or Accounting Leadership role in a mid-size non-profit preferred, or a Senior Auditor at a company working with nonprofits.
- 8 to 10+ years total accounting or finance experience
- Experience working with, or in, a non-profit with grant programs, required.
- Experience coordinating with IT staff to manage and/or upgrade accounting system. Systems implementation experience strongly preferred.
- “Hands On” ERP Systems Experience
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence, and teamwork – and ability to motivate staff.
How JCCGCI’s CFO is differentiated from JCCGCI’s Co-Controllers:
- The CFO is focused on the financial management of JCCGCI.
- JCCGCI’s Co-Controllers are focused on doing accounting.
- The CFO is the trusted advisor to the Executive Director, the Board, and program managers.
- JCCGCI is seeking a CFO who understands the financial dynamics of the agency, drives the financial results, and helps the Executive Director, Board and program managers run the organization.
JCCGCI’s CFO should have a three-prong approach to the job:
- Developing high performing staff. Recruiting staff, giving them the skills to do their job, resource allocation, work prioritization, and monitoring.
- Financial management infrastructure, including accounting systems, accounts payable, payroll, timekeeping, and all the other technology, which is necessary to manage financial results effectively.
- Building financial management capability throughout the organization. Sharing responsibility for financial results with all levels, including reporting, budgeting, and accounting.
JCCGCI’s CFO has to be willing to help with the actual accounting work if there is a crisis/deadline/staff on leave, etc. Not on a regular basis or as a regular job duty, but the CFO does need to be willing to learn processes and to use that knowledge where and when it is necessary.
Please submit your application to: Chief Financial Officer (#976) | Joel Paul Group