Director of Education at Temple Etz Chaim
At Temple Etz Chaim (TEC), we strive to create a love of Jewish learning that begins as a journey in a child’s earliest years. We are a small, close-knit reform congregation that strives to embody Jewish values and Jewish living for all members. Within our welcoming and inclusive community, engagement is prioritized and learning is made meaningful!
A brief overview of our current program includes the following: T’’fillah (worship/prayer) on Sunday mornings, for all students. This is followed by our Religious School programming, which is focused on teaching Jewish history, rituals, and culture from a 21st century perspective. Grades 3-6 participate in a weekly (Online) Hebrew curriculum to develop basic Hebrew reading, speaking and written language skills. Older students prepare for bar/bat mitzvah via individualized tutoring and supervision.
Throughout, our school faculty strive to utilize both traditional teaching methods and innovative approaches to ensure that all students feel connected to their learning!
The Director of Education role is a 10 to 15-hour/week position for the 2023-2024 school year. The Director will provide leadership over our Religious School, overseeing the K-7 program approximately 40 families (Sundays for children K-7, and Wednesday afternoons for grades 3-7) from September to May. They will also supervise the team of part-time classroom teachers, tutors, and Madrichim (youth leaders). The Education Director is responsible for all aspects of the School program, including:
- Ensuring implementation of selected curriculum;
- Supporting lesson planning and positive classroom management strategies;
- Hiring (as needed) and supervision of school staff;
- Outreach/ongoing communication to prospective and enrolled families;
The Director of Education will also assure smooth operation of the overall program. This will include creation and management of the school calendar, school holiday programs and celebrations, class rosters and school registration. They will also acquire appropriate learning resources, materials and technology as needed. (A part-time administrative position will be designated to support the Director of Education in these responsibilities).
- Model core Jewish values, such as ‘tikkun olam’ and serve as an open-minded and positive role model for the TEC community.
- Ensure a sense of security for all students and staff, through an inclusive and proactive management style and adherence to safety protocols.
- Inspire students to engage in Jewish learning, develop a love of Judaism, and embrace their Jewish identities.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Education, Jewish Education, Religious Studies, (or related field) is preferred.
- TEC will consider applicants who are in the process of pursuing higher graduate education.
- Prior successful experience in teaching, leadership/supervisory role(s), and Jewish youth programming.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively.
Strong written and verbal communication, time management, and organizational skills.
Salary and Benefits: Part time Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
-Submit a copy of your current resume and cover letter to [email protected] by March 6, 2023.
- Applications will be reviewed as they are received. This position is hiring for a start date of July 1, 2023.
- Please contact [email protected] with any questions and include ‘Director of Education’ in the subject line.
Thank you for your interest! We look forward to hearing from you.