Long Term Substitute Hebrew and Judaic Teacher Position
Pressman Academy is an innovative and engaging Jewish Day School dedicated to developing minds, nurturing hearts, and instilling Jewish values. Located in the Pico-Robertson area of Los Angeles, Pressman Academy has approximately 500 students in its Early Childhood Center through eighth grade. Pressman Academy is known for its rigorous academics, strong social/emotional curriculum, Hebrew immersion program, and warm community.
The candidate we seek to hire will serve as a lead teacher of Hebrew and Judaics in the lower elementary school, as a long term substitute, starting around January 2023.
The Hebrew teacher will be teaching, alongside with a teacher assistant, according to the proficiency approach to language acquisition as well as use the TalAm curriculum to teach Judaic studies content. The candidate will be supported by the Judaic Studies and Hebrew Department Admin team.
The Hebrew teacher will be required to:
- Develop, prepare, and implement lesson plans and curriculum according to the proficiency approach to language acquisition
- Use results of assessments to inform instruction and development of curriculum
- Participate in department meetings and collaborate with other faculty members and/or administrative staff in planning and implementing instructional goals, objectives, and methods
- Prepare lessons that reflect differentiation for individual student needs
- Represent a positive role model for students reflective of the mission of the school
- Participate actively and meaningfully in professional development opportunities
- Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students
- Manage student behavior in the classroom and administer discipline according to the school philosophy
- BA required in Education or related field
- Experience in Jewish day school, life and learning
- Fluency in Hebrew reading, writing and speaking
- Good English reading, writing, and speaking skills
- Minimum 2 years teaching experience
Preference will be given to candidates with previous teaching experience in Hebrew as a second language and/or an advanced degree in education.