Organizational Vision, Mission, and Function:
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington is an innovative, mission-driven non-profit organization dedicated to building a vibrant, welcoming, and inclusive Jewish community. Partnering with more than 60 local, national, and international partners, Federation articulates a clear vision for Jewish life and brings together resources of all kinds in pursuit of that vision. The ideal candidate is a successful collaborator and change agent, departmental and organizational leader, and highly skilled and comfortable with navigating a fluid and dynamic environment.
Working with the Chief Executive Officer, professional colleagues across the organization, and volunteer leadership, the Chief Impact Officer (CIO) sits on the Executive Team and is the senior executive responsible for leading the effort to achieve strategic and programmatic community outcomes for The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington. The CIO will lead a team of approximately 10 professionals in all areas of community impact strategy, including human services, Jewish engagement, Israel & overseas, and partner-organization resilience.
As a member of the Executive Team (ET), the CIO will play an instrumental role in furthering organizational culture and engagement. Through individual, peer, and team leadership, the CIO, along with ET, will foster an environment of collaboration, curiosity, and innovation. This position will provide guidance and leadership that will enhance outcomes through talent development and mentorship.
The CIO is responsible for leading participatory processes and ongoing engagement of key stakeholders to create community strategies with clear vision, intended impact, goals and implementation plans for achieving significant change in targeted areas. The CIO must lead a dynamic and proactive department in ensuring the accomplishment of the stated community vision in partnership with team members, volunteers, and community organizations.
The CIO will build trusting and collaborative relationships and strengthen the overall communal ecosystem through genuine, visible, and transparent engagement with all agency stakeholders and community partners.
The CIO will play a critical role in strengthening Federation’s presence and impact in Greater Washington by serving as a key resource and thought leader within the community with both local and national organizations.
In partnership with Federation’s Financial Resource Development (FRD), Marketing & Communications, and Jewish Leadership & Learning departments, the CIO will be responsible for conceiving and implementing opportunities to connect donors to their impact, including site visits, innovative and collaborative grant making programs, and other community convenings.
- Create, implement, and oversee the effectiveness of all components of the Impact department
- Serve as a strong content and strategy leader and resource throughout Jewish Greater Washington for both local and national organizations
- Work as a member of Federation’s Executive Team and partner with teammates to achieve overall organizational goals
- Support the strategic plan and evolving programmatic models, including increased integration with FRD, Jewish Leadership & Learning, and Marketing & Communications, program evaluation and budgeting
- Lead a change process; guiding team members and volunteers in implementing a culture of, and approaches to, strategy development, agency relations, support of our fundraising endeavors, education for our fundraising teams, and resource allocations
- Manage relationships with primary partner organizations, synagogues, day schools and other local and overseas beneficiaries, and strengthen collaboration efforts towards an integrated community impact strategy
- Partner with FRD and the Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Washington on specific solicitations, donor stewardship, and site visits
- Partner with FRD on strategies to increase support for strategic priorities from local, national, and international foundations, and create reporting mechanisms to showcase results
- Partner with Jewish Leadership & Learning Department to create integrated approaches to leadership development and community strategy development
- Continue to grow Federation’s measurement system to increase short and long-term effectiveness of funded strategies and shape allocation decisions
- Oversee and manage the department budget and grant allocations
- Foster a culture that makes Federation a workplace of choice
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation
- Experience in the planning and successful implementation of complex programmatic and strategic initiatives
- Knowledge of the key issues facing the Jewish community, including prior engagement/leadership in Jewish organizations
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with prominent volunteers, providing them with support and guidance; and the intellectual depth, maturity, wisdom, and discretion to garner their trust
- Ability to understand financial reports, oversee preparation and monitoring of budgets; analyze grant proposals; and oversee program and agency evaluation processes
- Experience as a member of a collaborative senior management team
- Commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization and community
- Team leader with the ability to attract and retain highly qualified professionals and to provide mentoring and opportunities for growth to their team
- Commitment to ongoing learning and fostering an overall culture of curiosity
- Management experience in a complex organization and a successful track record in multi-constituency, consensus-driven cultures
- Flexible and creative person who thrives in a dynamic, entrepreneurial setting
- Deep appreciation for and an ability to articulate powerfully the values and vision of Federation
- Strong organizational, communication and implementation skills
- Ability to attend evening events including both Federation and community functions
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree or other similar degree preferred
- Minimum 10-15 years of senior level management experience and progressively responsible experience
- Proven track record in developing strategy and managing teams, programs, and budgets
- Experience leading hybrid teams preferred
- Non-profit leadership preferred