Position: Benefits Coordinator & HR Assistant
Supervisor: Director of Human Resources
Congregation Rodeph Sholom (CRS) is a large dynamic Reform synagogue at the heart of Manhattan’s Upper West Side and has a strong 180-year history. We are a community for all who enter our doors and our members represent the vibrant diversity of New York’s Jewish landscape. Rodeph Sholom School (RSS) is the only Reform Jewish Day School in New York City. It serves students in nursery school through eighth grade. The temple and RSS, which serve under one entity, collectively employ 250+ staff.
The Benefits Coordinator & HR Assistant will contribute to the human resources practices and objectives that promote a collaborative, employee-oriented approach, and high-performance culture. Under the supervision of the Director of Human Resources, this position handles payroll and benefits-related duties for employees at all levels.
The successful candidate has experience handling sensitive and confidential personnel and financial information, exercises sound judgment, and demonstrates a high level of professionalism and emotional intelligence.
Our team works on a hybrid schedule. All our team members must be flexible and able to adapt to short- and long-term shifts in their job duties. Working hours are generally 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (4:00 PM on Fridays); additional hours may be required evenings and weekends.
- Collaborate with the Disbursements Coordinator to process and transmit weekly and monthly payrolls.
- Administer health and welfare plans, including enrollments, changes and terminations.
- Track employee claims as they relate to short and long term disability, FMLA, NYS PFL and Workers’ Compensation payments.
- Communicate with employees about leaves and required insurance premium payments.
- Provide support in the annual open enrollment for benefits, ACA reporting and issuance of W2s, and other required HR reporting.
- Reconcile, code, obtain approvals and submit benefit invoices (e.g., health insurance, dental insurance, vision, life insurance, long term and short term disability insurance).
- Compile reports and update HR information as needed to support department Temple and School strategic goals.
- Assisting with the recruitment process, including posting jobs, scheduling interviews as requested by the Director of HR and HR Generalist, and tracking candidate status.
- Provide onboarding support through HRIS system including the processing and collection of background checks, and other employment documents.
- Create and maintain employee files.
- Correspond with state and federal agencies as needed (e.g., responding to unemployment claims from DOL).
- Gather data for accounting manager to assist with the monthly close.
- Work with the independent auditors to provide all requested information.
- Provide comprehensive cross-training to a team member to ensure that your job can be fully performed when you are out of the office.
- Special projects and/or duties as assigned by members of Business Office management.
- Bachelor's degree in human resources or a related field (or four years of relevant work experience).
- At least two years of HR and payroll processing experience.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Customer-service oriented.
- Highly organized and efficient and able to prioritize to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent analytical skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Self-starter with strong attention to detail.
- Flexible, diligent and dependable team player.
- Generous paid time off (e.g., vacation, holidays, sick and personal days and parental leave).
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, and HSA options.
- 403(b) retirement plan with up to a 7% matching contribution.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for commuter, dependent care, and medical expenses.
- Short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance.
- AFLAC plans.
- Gym membership subsidy.
- Professional development.
- All staff must be up-to-date on vaccinations, including booster shot. Proof of vaccination required at start of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy:
CRS does not unlawfully discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of one’s actual or perceived race; color; religion; sex/gender (including gender identity); creed; sexual orientation; marital status; pregnancy; ethnicity; national origin; ancestry; age; disability; alienage/citizenship status; arrest or conviction record (consistent with the provisions of New York State’s Corrections Law); partnership status; familial status; military service; status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offenses; veteran status; genetic pre-disposition or carrier status; or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Employment decisions at CRS are made in a non-discriminatory manner and are based on qualifications, abilities, and merit. As may be permitted by law, certain CRS positions will be filled by persons of the Jewish faith as a bona fide occupational qualification. CRS also prohibits, and will not tolerate, any form of retaliation or reprisal against any employee who reasonably and in good faith complains of discrimination or harassment or provides information in connection with any such complaint.