Congregation Beth Elohim (CBE) is a vibrant, cutting-edge Reform synagogue in Park Slope, Brooklyn. We are a welcoming and inclusive community, rooted in Jewish history and identity, and profoundly open to diversity in all its forms. We come together to learn, to pray, to celebrate the rhythm of Jewish time, and to support each other through the joys and sorrows of our lives. We are a spiritual, cultural and intellectual center for Jewish revitalization, fostering community and extending our values of justice, education, and inspiration throughout the neighborhoods where we live and beyond.
We are seeking a Full Time Educator for Yachad, CBE’s Religious Education Program. Yachad serves nearly 500 students with full-time educators learning, creating curriculum and sustaining meaningful community for themselves, their students and families. Our current daily structure is mornings for meetings, professional development, mentorship, lesson planning, administration work and monthly social justice work. Lead educators teach 2 – 3 classes a day and are responsible for writing two grades-worth of curriculum. Members of the Yachad full-time and part-time team receive ongoing professional and leadership development training throughout the year.
CBE believes in ongoing Jewish exploration and living through deep Judaic and ritual exploration. CBE is committed to Judaism (Jewish experiences and education) that is inclusive and accessible to all. As a Yachad Lead Educator, they must have excellent communication and organizational skills, a warm and inclusive demeanor. They should be a collaborative and flexible Jewish leader and educator.
- Update curriculum including Hebrew Through Movement
- Make lesson plans that are accessible to co-teachers and madrichim
- Teach at least one K-2 section, and multiple sections of 3rd-6th grade
- Coordinate the schedule for students and staff
- Manage grade communications
- Conduct student assessments
- Communicate with parents
- Take attendance and follow up with absent students
- Create strong relationships with students
- Foster relationships between students
- Attend special events by program and by grade
- Run tefilla electives each semester based on interest/skill and set thematic and prayer curriculum (developed by clergy in collaboration with the Director)
- 7th grade-specific:
- Create weekly elective TBD by you and the 7th-grade Lead Educator
- Co-Teach 7th grade Tikkun Olam once a week (prepared for you by the Lead Educator)
- There is the possibility of stepping into additional teaching or different roles/grades based on the needs of the department.
- It is understood that you will be a resource to the director, teachers and other Yachad staff in providing socio-emotional curricular support.
Qualifications and Expectations
- Education Level: BA/BS (preferred: education, Jewish or religious studies)
- Years of Experience: 1 – 3 years teaching or leading in a similar setting
- Background and experience in:
- experiential lesson planning
- Strong organizational, planning, and project management skills
- Desire and ability to work with children and young adults
- Knowledge and ability to lead Jewish education & experiences
- Working knowledge of Hebrew or ability to learn and use a growing Hebrew vocabulary focusing on a maximum of 3 words a week
- Judaic Content knowledge in text, ritual, history
- Be a self-starter and able to work with minimum amount of supervision, particularly for managing logistics and off-site events
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience and strong work ethic, and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Jewish values-driven; able to teach from and respectfully hold colleagues and community to Yachad’s 8 values
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job and may change at any time.
To apply, please send your resume and contact information for 3 professional references to Tehilah Eisenstadt and Adva Zingher. Please email [email protected].
Reports to: Director of Yachad and Family Education
Schedule: This is a full-time position with Fridays and most Sundays off. This position requires flexibility to work weekends, evenings, and holidays. The position is year-round with light summer mid-June to July.
Salary Range: 45k – 55k