Who We Are:
Moishe (pronounced moy-shuh) House is what being Jewish in your 20s is all about. Launched in 2006 when four friends began hosting Shabbat dinners in their home, Moishe House provides a space for over 70,000 young adults around the world to create meaningful, welcoming Jewish communities for themselves and their peers each year. To date, there are more than 150 communities in over 40 countries, and we’re still growing!
Moishe House seeks an Accounting Associate to be an integral part of our finance team, contributing to multiple business and finance aspects of our organization. You will compile, maintain, and process financial records according to internal policies and GAAP, and work in close collaboration with team members in and outside of the finance department to support our organization with day-to-day accounting activities. You will build and maintain relationships with employees and other departments by helping them navigate our payment systems, policies, and determine expense allocations.
All voices are needed at Moishe House (please see our identity statements for more detail). Every new member of the Moishe House team is an opportunity for us to introduce fresh perspectives, talent, and skills into our workforce and our communities. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds, faiths, and life experiences to join our team located in the United States, South America, Europe, and the former Soviet Union. Our vision, in part, is for a fair and equitable workplace, where diversity is celebrated and can truly flourish.
Who You Are and What You’ll Do:
- You understand and believe in our mission, value being part of a team, and have a passion for managing dynamic systems.
- You approach challenges with collaboration and creativity, and offer insightful and effective solutions.
- You’ll be responsible for supporting the accounting department through:
- Receiving, reviewing, and processing all payment requests, employee reimbursements and credit card reports for accuracy, making corrections as necessary, and obtaining required forms and approvals as needed.
- Providing other departments with guidance on charging expenses to appropriate accounts.
- Preparing checks, wires, and ACH transactions for approval and processing.
- Creating and maintaining vendor information in our accounting system.
- Providing requested AP-related documentation for the audits.
- Assisting CPAs in preparing 1099 forms annually.
- Electronically tracking and filing invoices and documents.
- Assisting the Finance team in closing the books on a monthly and annual basis.
- Maintaining recurring finance schedules, such as utilities, lease terms, and rent increases, and obtaining proper approvals.
- You have an Associate’s degree, preferably in accounting or finance-related field, and have a minimum of 1 year of professional experience in business or administration. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- You have intermediate skill level using Excel spreadsheets and are able to quickly master new software systems; experience with financial systems such as Sage Intacct is a plus.
- You have very strong attention to detail, and strong organizational, analytical and time-management skills.
- You have effective and professional written and verbal communication to collaborate with the team and support senior Finance staff.
- You have experience and judgement required to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- You are eligible to work in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.
- You embrace and demonstrate the Moishe Mindset: Be the Difference, Connect & Listen, Invest Wisely, Embrace the Unknown, Own It!, Value People, and Work Well, Live Well, and Have Fun!
The Fine Print:
This position is based in one of our U.S. Hub Offices (Charlotte, NC, Chicago, IL, Encinitas, CA, Washington, D.C., or NYC), and reports to the Associate Director, Accounts Payable.
Our team works a hybrid schedule at our Hub Offices, where employees can choose to work remotely 2 days per week and collaborate in-person with coworkers the rest of the week.
Moishe House requires "full vaccination" for all staff to travel, work in offices, and participate in any Moishe House group gatherings. We use the CDC's definition of "full vaccination" as the standard, with variations based on country as needed.
How Moishe House Takes Care of You:
Moishe House provides a robust compensation package for our employees, including health benefits, time off, and retirement planning:
- Healthcare: Health, vision, dental, and mental health benefits ($0 employee contribution option available)
- Time off: 15 days paid time off (PTO) per year that increases with continued employment (additional benefits for former Hillel and BBYO employees through the Talent Alliance) PLUS office closures and up to 7 floating holidays for Jewish and US holidays
- 401(k): up to 3% matching after one year of employment
- Flexible Spending Account options
- Quarterly paid day of service to give back to your community!
- Highly qualified, creative, and go-getter teammates and a dedicated supervisor
- Company discounts on flights, hotels, sporting events, concerts amusement parks, gyms, and more through Plum Benefits
- Schedule options to accommodate your work and lifestyle
- Opportunity to work in one of our Moishe House Hub Offices (Charlotte, Chicago, Encinitas, CA, Washington, DC, or NYC!)
How Moishe House Pays You:
- The starting salary range for our positions is based on location, job requirements, and the skillset, education, and experience you bring to the role. The Accounting Associate position is nonexempt (hourly) and eligible for overtime pay.
- Charlotte, NC: $22/hour - $25/hour
- Encinitas, CA, Chicago, IL: $23/hour - $26/hour
- NYC or DC: $24/hour - $27/hour
- Annual merit-based increase
How Moishe House Invests in You:
- $750 Annual professional development fund
- One-on-one Jewish learning with an educator of your choice through the Jewish Learning Collaborative
- Local professional learning opportunities
- Opportunity for advancement through Moishe House’s career path planning
- Schedule options to accommodate your work and lifestyle
- Opportunities to attend Moishe House Learning Retreats and Conferences
Moishe House is a dynamic organization that recognizes and supports individuals from a broad range of experiences and backgrounds. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation.
Possible Steps in Our Hiring Process:
Step 1: Apply with your resume, and cover letter, HERE and you'll hear back from us!
Step 2: Video interview using a web-based platform
Step 3: Skills assessment, and interview(s) with the hiring manager(s)
Step 4: We'll check your references to hear about your past experience
Step 5: Get an offer letter, sign it, start your Moishe House journey!