As a result of the conflict in Ukraine, JDC has thousands of new major donors and prospects previously unknown to the organization. JDC is seeking 2 Senior Development Officers (SDO) to serve as front line fundraisers on behalf of JDC with a focus on new Ukraine donors. The SDO is expected to engage in stewarding new JDC individual and foundation Ukraine donors and identifying qualified prospects with the goal of furthering JDC's fundraising strategy and long-term growth priorities. The SDO serves as the liaison for select Jewish Federations and soliciting prospects and current donors at the $10,000 level and above.
Thinking about applying?
Frequently cited statistics show that historical biases in hiring lead to fewer applications from underrepresented groups due to a false perception that they must meet 100% of the qualifications. We encourage you to break that statistic and apply if you meet a majority of the requirements. We look forward to your application.
What will you do as a Senior Development Officer?
- Cultivate, steward, and solicit a select group of new Ukraine crisis major donors to secure renewed and increased giving from this cohort
- Identify, research, cultivate, steward, and solicit individual, foundation, and corporate donors for new, renewed or increased five figure ($10k - $1M) priority and budget approved gifts, and other related projects
- Plan and organize speaking events and parlor meetings and staff overseas donor visits to achieve these goals
- Coordinate special projects and donor cultivation assignments
- Present on JDC’s behalf to funders/prospects and other groups in person and via other technologies
- Work with the Resource Development (RD) team to develop necessary materials
- Record all major contacts/activities with donors and prospects according to JDC procedures
- Work closely with manager to ensure alignment at all levels, including identification of donors, outreach and solicitation, identifying funding needs, communication and messaging
- Activity and fundraising metrics to be developed with supervisor
- Other duties as assigned
What qualifications do you need to be our Senior Development Officer?
- Prior fundraising experience successfully soliciting and closing $10K+ gifts required (e.g. experience in positions such as Development Officer ready to take the next step, Major Gifts Officer or Senior Development Officer looking for a lateral move, Development Director looking to grow in a larger global organization); experience raising funds for Jewish non-profits a plus
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with major individual donors required, experience with donors in the Jewish community a plus
- Tech savvy, comfortable using donor management systems (e.g. Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce) and dedicated to maintaining effective data and utilizing available technologies
- Strong presentation skills, with the ability to inspire both one-on-one and for audiences
- Outstanding relationship building and people skills, including strong written and oral communication
- Flexibility and agility to adapt in a fast-paced work environment
- Self-motivation and excellent networking capabilities; ability to work on one’s own and efficiently
- Ability to travel domestically 4-5 times and overseas 1-2 times annually
- Familiarity with Israel and global Jewish communities – a plus
- CFRE designation is a plus
- Dedication to and passion for the work of the JDC and global Jewish issues, and the ability to effectively translate that to prospects and donors
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Hours: 35 hours/week, 8:45 AM – 4:45PM, with flexibility to work with other time zones and on evenings or weekends for events as needed
- Location: We are hiring two SDO’s: one hybrid from New York, NY, and one remote from Florida
- Reports to: Senior Director, Global Resource Development
- Job Function/Department: Resource Development
- Other: Travel domestically 4-5 times and overseas 1-2 times annually required
What are the compensation and benefits for a Senior Development Officer?
This a full-time position paid semi-monthly at a salary of $160,000- 175,000 per year; in determining where a candidate falls in that range JDC considers several factors, including skills and experience, internal equity, and cost of living in location of work. This role is exempt per the FLSA.
We offer an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to:
- 100% paid medical and dental insurance for employee coverage
- Paid time off, including vacation days, sick and personal days, and Jewish and national holidays
- Paid parental leave policy
- 403(b) with JDC contributions of 6.5% of salary
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), commuter benefits, and life insurance
- Learning & Development: Ongoing opportunities for professional development through workshops and trainings with our internal L&D program
- Food Perks: Bagel Thursdays and beverages/snacks in the office for on-site and hybrid employees
Why work at JDC?
- The People – What we hear most from our team members is that they enjoy working with others who share their passion for doing good; Our staff aim to use their skills to make a positive difference in the lives of others
- A Global Environment – you will have the opportunity to develop a global perspective, working with staff from the U.S., Israel, the Former Soviet Union, and all over the world
- Tikkun Olam – This Jewish value of “repairing the world” is deeply important to us. Collectively we are dedicated to making a positive impact on the lives of others
We require the individual who fills this role to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to the CDC definition. We require the individual in this role to be fully vaccinated by their first day of work and to maintain that status. JDC provides reasonable accommodations, and this may be subject to disability and religious exemptions. Contact HR if you need to request an accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity
JDC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As the world’s leading global Jewish humanitarian organization, we are committed to treating people with compassion and respect. All qualified applications will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, mental disorder, familial status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Submit your resume here.
Application Deadline: Sunday October 2nd, 2022
Expected Start Date: We are hiring one role to start in November 2022, and one to start in January 2023.
JDC -- the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or "The Joint" -- is the leading Jewish humanitarian organization, working in 70 countries to lift lives and strengthen communities. We rescue Jews in danger, provide aid to vulnerable Jews, develop innovative solutions to Israel’s most complex social challenges, cultivate a Jewish future, and lead the Jewish community’s response to crises. For over 100 years, our work has put the timeless Jewish value of mutual responsibility into action, making JDC essential to the survival of millions of people and the advancement of Jewish life across the globe.
For more information, please visit www.JDC.org.