Who We Are: Temple Israel of Springfield, Missouri is about 130 years old. Originally started as two congregations, one Orthodox, the other Reform, we combined and are now a Reform congregation of about 80 families and members. We are the largest of the three congregations in the southwest part of the state. Temple Israel is a place of worship, education and celebration.
About Our Community: Springfield is a city of about 160,000 people in the center of the Ozarks. The Ozarks have a fairly mild climate with four distinct seasons, many state parks, crystal clear rivers and lakes, ideal for boating and fishing, and hilly terrain with great hiking and camping. The city of Springfield combines big city amenities of museums, theaters, sports teams, creative arts and several colleges while still maintaining a small town feel, a very modest cost of living and a laid-back atmosphere.
Why Do You Need a Spiritual Leader: Our full time rabbi is retiring in June of 2022, and we are looking for a part time or full time rabbi or cantor to be the spiritual leader for the community.
- The first priority of the position is religious services as recommended by the Ritual committee. We seek someone who is adaptable and able to meet the religious needs (both Reform, Reconstructionist, Renewal, and Conservative) and spiritual needs of this varied congregation.
- The person must be able to relate to, attract and teach children in the Sunday and/or Hebrew school classes. They must be able to build relationships with adults for Torah study, conversions and adult Bnei Mitzvah.
- Celebrate and honor our Jewish traditions and their spiritual meaning by performing weddings, funerals, bar and bat mitzvot, baby namings, etc.
- Help create an inviting atmosphere
- Welcomes all who want a Jewish experience
- Welcomes inter-faith, Jewish - by - choice, and non - practicing families
- Allows and accepts each person to practice and live their Jewish spiritual values
- Appreciates this diversity and allows it to add to the community
- Encourages growth with guidance without dictating the direction
- Pastoral Care – Walk with people during their troubled times and celebrate with them during their joyful times.
Desirable Personality Characteristics and Skills:
The spiritual leader will be outgoing, approachable, non-judgmental, and genuinely interested in all persons of any sexual preference and ability. The leader must be able to reach out and integrate different social or political perspectives so that members do not feel as if they have been excluded, or shut out from the congregation. We are a varied congregation, with members spanning the complete spectrum of Jewish beliefs, and also interfaith and Jewish – by – choice families. Our spiritual leader needs to be flexible and adapt to our congregation and community as she or he welcomes the challenges of finding common ground by incorporating prayer, liturgy, worship ,and education from all the different branches of Judaism. We are seeking someone who can embrace our congregation and change along with it as we all grow in our Jewish values.
Basic skills are to speak, read and chant Hebrew trope well since he or she will be working with children and Bnei Mitzvah students. The candidate needs to be familiar with Jewish history, tradition, and culture. A good work ethic with time management skills that are based on the needs of the community is necessary. Since one of the primary job responsibilities is the Shabbat service the candidate must be able to prepare a D’var Torah that enhances the words of the parashah, and is able to represent it from different points of view. Our spiritual leader will have the vision to energize our community as we leave the separateness of Covid distanced homes and create partnerships that strengthen our Jewish principles in our country.
The Position: This position is for a spiritual leader, either a Rabbi or Cantor, part time or full time. The salary is in the $30,000-$50,000 range for part time. Any compensation for full time can be discussed during the interview. If part time, preference will be given to the candidate living within commuting distance of Springfield. Terms are negotiable.
Please send resume and cover letter to Temple Israel PO Box 4284 Springfield, Mo 65808 Attn: Rabbinical Search Committee or email to [email protected]