Director, Strategic Operations
Remote (preference for LA or DC)
Status (Full-time (38 hours) exempt position)
We are a Jewish network of 150 organizations rooted in our shared commitment to safety, respect, and equity-for all. We inspire meaningful change in workplaces and communal spaces by bringing people together to address gender-based harassment, discrimination, and inequity. Our work is focused on building community, research & learning, and strategic community investments, using an intersectional lens of gender justice.
Launched in early 2018, SRE Network currently operates as a fiscally sponsored project of New Venture Fund and is led by its inaugural Executive director and four staff members and additional topic-area advisors and consultants who are based throughout the United States. Its nine-person Advisory Board is comprised of communal leaders, and its work is supported by over a dozen Jewish philanthropists and foundations. SRE Network is known for its Standards for Creating Safe, Respectful and Equitable Workplace which serves as a guide and roadmap for helping organizations create healthy workplaces. Network members agree to implement these standards over time. The Network’s annual convening engages over 200 professionals, clergy, educators, volunteers, and funders of Jewish organizations across North America in two days of learning, with additional programming offered throughout the year. SRE Network has also been a critically important funder of gender equity work in Jewish spaces. To date, SRE Network has awarded $3.5M in grants to advance safety, respect and equity with a focus on gender justice.
Today, SRE Network is at an exciting in?ection point as it continues to move forward from start-up mode to next stage entity, optimizing its governance, organizational and programming structures and building and retaining a diverse, high-functioning and committed team. SRE Network is seeking a Director of Strategic Operations to serve as a trusted thought partner to the Executive Director, a key member of the internal Leadership Team, an effective liaison with the Advisory Board and external partners, and a stable and experienced manager for team members in the areas of operations, membership, programming and communications.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Strategic Operations will serve as thought partner to the ED and will have strategic operational responsibility for all areas of SRE Network’s work, with a primary focus on: operations, membership engagement, programming and communications. The role will help craft and steward the strategic plan, quarterly workplan and performance management processes, as well as manage the implementation of new programmatic and operational initiatives. The role will partner with the ED and senior leaders and will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the operational aspects of the annual budget. The role will also cultivate existing relationships with Network funders and members. While this position is remote, some travel is expected and there is a preference for someone to be located in LA (Southern California) or DC where other team members are based. Additionally, team members must be willing to work during core business hours from 8am – 1pm PST, 11 am-4pm EST.
- With direction from the Executive Director, provide effective and inspiring leadership in alignment with the SRE Network vision and goals, through active involvement in SRE Network programs and services, developing a broad and deep knowledge of SRE Network’s work and constituents.
- Identify opportunities for SRE to leverage cross-program strengths to take advantage of new opportunities and/or to address organizational challenges.
- Prepare and submit for approval an annual operational budget, manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Ensure the continued financial viability of SRE’s operational units through sound fiscal management.
Staff Supervision & Team Building:
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain SRE’s high-performance team with an emphasis on developing capacity in planning, collaboration, trust-building, effective internal communications, respectful workplace culture, meaningful and consistent performance management and feedback mechanisms.
- Develop and implement training programs and retreats with support from consultants, advisors and staff, to expand the capacity of the team.
Strategic Plan Implementation:
- Provide programmatic leadership and input for all strategic plan implementation processes with the ED and staff. Coach program and operations team and consultants as they implement the strategic plan and transition program operations.
- Develop and implement a system for tracking and reporting on the progress of the strategic plan implementation.
External Relationship Management:
- Manage and cultivate existing and new relationships with internal and external partners, including Advisory Board, Network members, funders, expert practitioners, and grantees.
- This role will supervise staff and consultants and will also be involved in hiring, training, performance management and retention of staff.
Profile of Candidate
- You have a personal commitment to implementing positive culture change within and beyond the Jewish community.
- You have applied knowledge of the Jewish nonprofit landscape.
- You have a successful track record of operationalizing new ventures and bringing them from startup to next stage phase.
- You are a self-aware, experienced internal-facing leader, who inspires others by ensuring alignment within an organization around mission, vision, activities and workplace culture.
- You thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, and action-oriented environment, ensuring that the team maintains clarity and focus on key priorities and goals as outlined by the Executive Director, in the midst of a complex, changing environment and landscape.
- You have a successful track record of operationalizing strategic objectives, through effectively managing a portfolio of programs and services; identifying and implementing the operational components needed to make a project successful; and achieving and leading teams to achieve both short-term and long-term tactical, relational and strategic goals.
- You have experience effectively managing staff and consultants in a remote environment in which colleagues work across locations and time zones and technology is used heavily for communications and project management.
- You are skilled at and energized by building rapport with a wide range of stakeholders with diverse backgrounds and roles, both within and outside of an organization.
- You lead by example in supporting open, honest and productive communication, with a demonstrated ability to productively give and receive feedback from supervisors, peers and colleagues.
- You have a strong learning orientation, with an ability to transparently course correct, pivot when necessary, take initiative to effectively communicate your needs, coach colleagues to achieve desired results, and bring in the supports needed to accomplish organizational goals.
- You are an effective communicator, both in written and verbal communications, able to synthesize complex concepts and make them accessible both internally and for external audiences.
- You have a passion for the mission of the SRE Network.
- You value integrity, credibility, and humility.
- You have previously served on the leadership team of an organization.
- You have past experience managing human resources functions, particularly in the area of hiring, coaching, performance management and professional development.
- You have applied experience or training in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- You have applied knowledge implementing workplace or communal culture change initiatives.
Essential Physical Tasks: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Regular sitting, standing, typing, and repetitive computer use. Occasional walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, pushing, pulling, lifting, kneeling, and twisting. Frequently communicates with others and must be able to exchange accurate information.
Applicants with Disabilities: Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Compensation: A competitive compensation package will be made available to the qualified candidate with an annual salary range of $115,000-$135,000 plus benefits. SRE Network, a project of New Venture Fund, offers a very generous benefits package which currently includes payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees and their dependents. Benefits also include life insurance, long term disability protection, and a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an up to 3% employer match). Paid leave for full time employees includes 3 weeks of vacation, 2 weeks of personal/sick leave, 9 standard and 4 floating holidays, 20 hours of volunteer leave, as well as select Jewish holidays when they fall on a weekday (2 days for Rosh Hashanah, 1 day for Yom Kippur and 2 days for Passover).
About New Venture Fund: SRE Network is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
This position description is based upon material provided by SRE Network, an equal opportunity employer.
Dara Z. Klarfeld
Chief Executive Officer
To apply to this position please visit www.DRGsearch.com