Westchester Reform Temple
Special Events & Catering Manager
WRT seeks an experienced hospitality professional to lead all aspects of special events and catering needs for the temple. From superior customer care, to detailed pre-planning, to internal staff coordination, to on-site staffing for each event - you will represent the temple to our community with the highest levels of integrity and warmth. Taking great pride in your work, you will provide a quality of experience that we will all be proud to hear about.
This role is envisioned as part-time, averaging 20 hours per week, with a schedule that is flexible to meet the needs of scheduled events. Reporting to the Executive Director, you will coordinate closely with the Facilities Manager and work with senior staff members of the temple around planning and execution of temple events.
Weekend events are common, including a reception every Friday evening after prayer services, a reception each Saturday morning after prayer services, and Saturday rental events (September - June) around Bar/Bat Mitzvah family receptions, dinners and parties.
A significant amount of time is required around planning and staffing the fall High Holidays, and temple events which take place throughout the year connected with holiday celebrations, programs organized by temple volunteers, and annual fundraising events. We also invite community members and other organizations to rent our facilities for their own private special events. July and August tend to be very quiet event months.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- For All Events
- Partner with Facilities Manager and Security Director in advance planning
- Coordinate party planners, vendors, staffing and deliveries
- Collect insurance certificates and damage deposits as needed
- Provide on-site support and management of each event
- Conduct post event inspections
- Maintain budget awareness
- Weekly Onegs
- Place food orders, coordinate sponsors, oversee presentation, and provide on-site management of Friday evening and Saturday morning receptions
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah & Other Rentals
- Advertise to congregation families and community organizations
- Schedule events, avoiding conflicts of calendar time and facility space
- Manage contracts, vendors, deposits and payments
- Request feedback from customers after each event
- Temple Events
- Be involved in temple calendar planning for the year
- Coordinate with lead staff and volunteers for each event
- High Holidays Planning
- Manage the HHD “Run of Show” planning document
- Secure vendors for equipment, transportation, police and food services
- Protect calendar time and space to plan for all set-ups and break-downs
- Coordinate décor for worship and catering spaces
- Review and implement all Clergy special set-up needs
- Coordinate special needs seating for all services
- Plan and provide catering for Clergy, Security, Facilities & Musicians teams
The ideal applicant for this position will demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Significant experience in the hospitality industry, catering experience is a plus
- Customer service mindset, looks for a way to get to “Yes”
- Excellent communication skills, highly responsive and attentive
- Superior interpersonal skills, enjoys working with others
- Bright and sunny disposition, extremely friendly, always professional
- Extremely organized, plans ahead, keeps clear records, detail oriented
- Creative, working within policy parameters
- Curious to learn new things, unafraid to ask for help, accepts direction well
- Familiarity with the Jewish community is a plus
We are looking to hire now. Compensation for this part-time position will depend on what kind of credentials and experience you have, and may range from $25,000 - $35,000 per year, with room for growth.
WRT believes strongly that all applicants, including women and people of color, should be considered fairly for employment opportunities at the temple. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and we recognize that our best candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background, or one who does not meet every single one of the qualifications listed in this job description. We would encourage you to apply, if you feel you are poised to excel at leading this important work with WRT. WRT abides by all applicable federal, state and local laws which prohibit discrimination on the basis of any protected characteristic as established by law.
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to: [email protected] Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the search will remain open until a candidate is hired.