Congregation Shaarei Shamayim, a progressive Jewish community in Madison, Wisconsin, seeks an Associate Director to provide leadership and logistical support to our growing congregation.
We seek a problem solver with exceptional organizational, communication, program development, and interpersonal skills. Our Associate Director will facilitate our growth and allow us to continue to provide a wide range of religious, spiritual, educational, and social justice activities and programming for members and the community at large.
The Associate Director works in partnership with our Rabbi and congregational leadership. Candidates for the position should be comfortable working both independently and in collaboration with diverse stakeholders. As a congregation with a small staff, candidates for this position should be comfortable with balancing a range of roles and should be conversant with or able to quickly learn a range of technologies. Applicants need not be Jewish.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work in partnership with our board, rabbi, and office support staff to implement and fine-tune systems for efficiency and effectiveness;
- Work with building facility partners to organize the activities calendar;
- Provide logistical support for programs, services, life cycle events, and holidays in our shared building space or in other locations;
- Assist event volunteers with space rental/management, supply procurement, coordination of set-up, publicity, and registration;
- Supervise support staff.
- Provide organizational and logistical support to volunteer-led committees responsible for various aspects of organization management;
- Work with congregants to plan and implement events and programs including, but not limited to, educational programming, life cycle events, holidays and social gatherings;
- Evaluate member experience to assure member retention.
- Coordinate all marketing and communications, including email, social media, and printed materials;
- Work in coordination with the rabbi and volunteer leadership to write community announcements, program and event marketing, and other synagogue communications;
- Support member recruitment with innovative marketing;
- Update and maintain the web site.
Finance and Development:
- Serve as liaison to the bookkeeper and treasurer and provide technical assistance in managing the congregation's finances (including budgeting, financial operations, investments, and financial reporting);
- Support and expand the work of the newly established fundraising committee.
PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND QUALITIES
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum three years of management experience in a comparable environment
- Proficient with computers, including but not limited to word processing, spreadsheets, social media platforms, virtual meeting software, and email skills. Proficiency with financial management software and/or customer relationship software preferred
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters with maturity, discretion, and professionalism
- Experience with or interest in learning about Jewish customs, culture, and practices.
- Ability to work flexible hours needed to complete job requirements, including some nights, weekends, and Jewish holidays.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- $65,000 - $70,000/year depending on experience
- Health insurance
- Disability insurance
- Paid time off for vacation, sick leave, and holidays
Please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Priority will be given to candidates who apply before October 6, 2023.
Congregation Shaarei Shamayim is an equal opportunity employer. A vital part of this commitment includes welcoming, respecting, and encouraging diversity among our staff, including fostering an environment in which all staff have the greatest opportunities to thrive. We encourage all candidates to apply for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.