Director of Organizational Advancement
Young Judaea is a diverse community that educates and empowers Jewish youth to deeply engage with Israel and to lead positive change for the Jewish People, Israel and the World. For over 114 years, Young Judaea has inspired Jewish youth of diverse backgrounds to become engaged leaders and inspired activists with a deep personal connection to Israel. Young Judaea does this through a robust arc of programs that include junior/regional camps, a national teen camp, year-round regional and national programming, Israel immersive travel experiences, alumni gatherings. For more information, please visit www.youngjudaea.org.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILTIES
The Director of Organizational Advancement position is a unique and critically important role for a top tier development executive to help optimize Young Judaea Global’s fundraising opportunities. The DOA will join YJG at an exciting moment of transition and growth and will play a crucial leadership role with an exceptionally invested and generous community of donors and staff. YJG is looking for someone to enhance its development infrastructure in North America and help lead YJG through its new strategic plan and next phase of growth. Young Judaea Global’s current organizational budget is 11M with a philanthropic need of 3M. Young Judaea Global recently completed a strategic plan that calls for aggressive growth to broaden and deepen impact over the next 3 years with philanthropic growth increasing commensurate with financial projections within the strategic plan. The DOA will serve as Young Judaea Global’s chief development officer and leading a development team; develop and successfully implement a strategic annual fundraising plan aimed at increasing organizational capacity and ensuring long-term growth and sustainability per the strategic plan.
The Director of Organizational Advancement will be an integral part of Young Judaea Global’s senior team and work closely with a team of dynamic staff under the direct supervision of Young Judaea's CEO. This is a full-time position based in the US. Young Judaea seeks a DOA with a strong commitment to, and passion for, the mission of Young Judaea.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Planning - Implements and monitors a comprehensive fundraising plan to expand philanthropic support of the organization including using income and expense cycles to guide fundraising campaign decisions. Monitors all fundraising and revenue trends.
Major Donor Cultivation – Works with staff and board to cultivate and increase investment at all levels with a particular focus at the $5000+ level; increase the gifts of current donors and overall number of donors; coordinate prospect research, foster strong donor stewardship and actively manage individual leads. Supports the CEO to identify and successfully solicit major donors.
Planned Giving – Create and launch a planned giving program to increase the annual operating funds and operating reserves.
Event Planning – Work with staff and volunteers to successfully produce fund-raising events with significant financial ROI and local friendraising events with significant lead generation.
Foundation relations - supports the CEO with cultivation of foundations as needed.
ADDITIONAL JOB RESPONSIBILTIES
Supervision - Effectively supervises current Development Associate and future members of the development team by setting annual work plan and development goals.
Donor Acknowledgments - Oversees creation and distribution of donor acknowledgements by Development team.
External Communications - Oversees design and implementation of communications related to online campaigns and mass emails, fundraising and friendraising events as implemented by communications manager.
Volunteer Management – Work with the Development Committee and Associated Task Forces to develop and implement development goals and strategies.
Internal Coordination and Communication - Actively work with development professionals and volunteers across Young Judaea to coordinate and collaborate in order to effectively fundraising between and among the Young Judaea entities.
Reporting – Prepare monthly and quarterly reports evaluating the fundraising efforts and progress with support from the data strategy director. Create an annual report of accomplishments and future goals and work plan.
Oversight of functional area - Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility. Identifies and minimizes inefficiencies in fundraising efforts.
Budgeting - Supports the development of an annual organizational budget by designing and implementing a comprehensive Development Funding Plan annually which maintains the fiscal health of the organization and provides future financial resources for growth and expansion.
Data tracking and Reporting - Maintains and develops donor database through Salesforce to optimize fundraising opportunities. Collect, organize, and maintain a complete and accurate database record of donors and funding received with support of the Office Administrator. Establishes tracking tools and monitors monthly with support of the Data Strategy Director.
-Other duties as assigned.
- Setting and achieving challenging goals and tracking progress against those goals.
- Strong relationship management and ability to work with diverse individuals at all levels within the organization, including board members, individual donors, foundation professionals, professionals, and volunteers from YJ affiliate organizations.
- Deep knowledge of trends in prospect identification, donor relationships, and research.
- Ease in developing and managing departmental budgets; experience and comfortability with Salesforce to track donations, read reports to track fundraising short- and long-term trends, progress against goals, and regular reporting to key stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; comfortable presenting in front of groups of various sizes.
- Strong organizational, time, and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities, short-term needs, and long-term planning.
- A strong work ethic, including the ability to work efficiently under pressure; meet deadlines; demonstrate strategic thinking and good decision-making; maintain and model high personal, ethical, and professional standards; and be a proactive problem solver and generate solutions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Proven track record of developing and successfully executing a plan for increasing an organization’s philanthropic revenue including major individual donor giving and foundation support.
- Successful track record in soliciting major gifts from existing and new prospects; closing five and six-figure gifts, demonstrated ability to develop, foster, and sustain donor relationships.
- Proven ability to effectively manage, lead, and hold accountable fundraising teams, fostering a collaborative and high-performing work environment.
- Experience engaging lay leadership committee to support fundraising strategies and goals and to model a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
- Savvy working with Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) or Donor Management systems to enter constituent data and read generated reports - Salesforce experience preferred.
- Strong attention to detail, growth mindset, a positive can-do attitude, abundance mindset, and receptivity to feedback.
- Ability to work effectively in a hybrid environment.
- Minimum of 8 years of increasing responsibility in development and fundraising within a fast-paced, nonprofit environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or commensurate professional experience
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary Range: 150-175k commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package includes but is not limited to: health insurance, 403b matching plan, paid time off, paid holidays (Jewish and secular), FSA, professional development and parental leave
- This is a full-time position with hybrid work. 2-3 days in the NY office and 2-3 days remote. If transferring to NY is not a possibility, willing to entertain alternatives that include necessary facetime to accomplish work, collaborative strategies and effective supervision.
- Job includes 30-50% travel to key areas around the US and occasionally to Israel
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Young Judaea provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, national origin, disability condition, marital status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.