The JTS Division of Religious Leadership (DRL) seeks an inspiring, creative, empathic, and wise Director of the H.L. Miller Cantorial School to help train and shape the next generation of Conservative cantors. Our new Director will have a vision for the changing nature of the cantorate and how to prepare students with the musical and Jewish depth and breadth to serve and inspire the Jewish people. Reporting directly to the dean of the DRL, the Cantorial School Director works closely as a member of the DRL leadership team to set the tone for the DRL, creating an environment which fosters deep Jewish learning, spiritual development, academic inquiry, and musical excellence.
- Oversight and management of the school’s academic program, including curriculum development, student advisement, teaching, internship placement, and scheduling.
- Teaching and mentoring of students.
- Organizing and supervising student performances and occasional public concerts.
- Assist the Enrollment team in recruitment of new students.
- Represent CS in DRL lay board meetings and events.
- Support Development staff in work with donors and alumni.
Professional Qualifications Include:
- Leadership and educational skills appropriate for working with varies constituents, including students, laypeople, team members, and a variety of other departments across the institution, as iterated above.
- Demonstrated capacity of budget development and management.
- A team player with a collaborative working style; strong interpersonal skills and diplomacy; superb listening and influencing skills; the ability to cultivate and sustain trust and credibility with colleagues, and build unity around difficult issues; an active listener, facilitator, convener, and mediator.
- A sophisticated understanding of JTS’s mission and an eagerness to serve as a steward of its resources.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Maturity, sound judgment, presence, resilience, optimism, and good humor.
- Certification as a cantor and an MA in a related field.
- At least 7 years of professional experience required.
JTS welcomes applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, disability, age, sex, national origin, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other factors as prohibited by law.
Applicants should send a CV and cover letter describing their interest and qualifications for the position to [email protected], with “Cantorial School” in the subject line.
Salary range: $120,000