“At Solomon Schechter Day School of Metropolitan Chicago, we ignite our students’ Jewish souls, educate them to their highest potential, and empower them to use their knowledge, skills, and creativity to enrich our world.”
The Sager Nurse is responsible for providing health services at the Sager School. This includes treating student injuries or illnesses and advising students, their parents or guardians, and staff on health issues.
In addition to injuries and sudden ailments, the school nurse will support students with chronic illnesses and disabilities. This includes administering medication to them. The school nurse will also promote health-related habits (e.g. proper hand-washing) and ensure compliance with national and local health policies for schools.
This is an in-person, 2 days per week position.
Duties of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Providing healthcare to students
- Developing and monitoring health plans for students with chronic illnesses and disabilities
- Educate students and staff on healthy habits, such as proper nutrition and hygiene
- Ensure school environment is safe for children and school staff (e.g. prevention of communicable diseases)
- Update students’ medical history
- Keep track of students’ vaccination records and medical records
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, and staff
- Administer student medication, prescription and over the counter, as prescribed
- Complete medication documentation in a timely manner
- Dispose of discontinued and missed medications per school policy and best practices
- Responsible for creating and implementing medical plans (asthma action plan, diabetes plan, allergy plan, etc.)