Temple Sinai Job Description
Title: Seventh Grade Teacher (Part-Time) FLSA: Exempt
Reports to: Religious School and Youth Director Date: May 2023
The seventh-grade teacher is a member of the religious school faculty under the supervision of the Religious School and Youth Director. Our sixth-grade class focuses on bible stories and Jewish Life Cycle events. Seventh grade focuses on Jewish history, Holocaust studies, and antisemitism. The classes meet on Sundays from 9 am to 11:30 am at Temple Sinai.
- Follow a pre-determined curriculum with lots of room for input.
- Lead a weekly class for seventh-grade students
- Work with the students and clergy to co-lead a Yom HaShoah Service on a Friday Evening
- Communicate with the Religious School and Youth Director, parents, Temple Sinai Clergy
- Join the class on one offsite trip to New York City.
- number of students: 15
- time of commitment: Three hours on Sunday, August, faculty in-service, monthly faculty meetings.
Expected qualities of a candidate:
- Secular and or/Jewish educational experience
- Experience as a Holocaust educator is a plus
- Familiarity with current events, particularly around antisemitism
- Knowledge of experiential educational practices
- Knowledge of and experience incorporating Social Emotional Learning practices such as responsive classrooms.
- Jewish Knowledge/experience, such as a camp or congregational setting
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Classroom experience with teenagers
- Passion for teen/youth engagement
- Ability to interact with and communicate clearly to teenagers, parents, temple staff, and clergy.
- BA or MA in education is preferred
- Faculty are compensated at a session rate of $165.00 to $174 a session to based on education and experience.
To Apply: Email a resume and letting of interest to Erica Quamily, Religious School and Youth Engagement Director at [email protected].
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.