TEEN EXPERIENCE COORDINATOR
Part-time Winter & Spring ~ Full-time Summer
Join our summer staff! Eden Village West is an organic farm-to-table residential Jewish camp in Sonoma County, California with a 6-week overnight summer program. Our 3rd-11th grade campers enjoy farming, wilderness and homesteading skills, culinary arts, music and sports as they become empowered to promote a more environmentally sustainable, socially just, and spiritually connected world for all.
The Teen Experience Director will play a central role in supporting the experience and program of our rising 10th and 11th grade (Keter) campers and our rising 12th grade Junior Staff. For the first half of the summer, this role will be focused on the Junior Staff program, supervising & facilitating a cohort experience and providing one-on-one guidance and support to each junior staff member- Read more about the Junior Staff Program here. For the second half of the summer, this role will be primarily focused on our Keter program, supervising and supporting a team of counselors working with campers in our oldest age group to create a magical camp experience for our teen campers.
In the lead up to the summer, there will also be part-time work to develop the curriculum for the Junior Staff program, approximately 8 hours per month for the winter (February/March) and 15-20 hours per month in the spring (April/May).
- Work with the Assistant Director to develop Junior Staff training schedule and programming, based on EVW summer staff training (June 13-20th)
- Develop programmatic arc & programming for Junior staff experience– Junior Staff will have afternoon cohort sessions Mon- Fri where they’ll get to continue building skills to be top notch staff members
Summer Responsibilities: (on site, full time at camp June 5 – August 4):
Junior Staff Program-
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate cohort time for Junior Staff members (happens 4x/week)
- Prep sessions for Junior Staff on various topics including childcare at each age & stage; nature based pedagogy; how to create, plan, & run excellent activities; and more
- Oversee the planning of at least one all camp program each session, support Junior Staff in the creation, preparation, and implementation of the program
- Work with Tribe Leaders to provide coaching & mentorship to Junior Staff, who will be assigned to bunks in various tribes
- Oversee Junior Staff schedules when they are supporting other camp operations and coordinate with various department heads on work that Junior Staff will support with (office manager, kitchen team, etc)
- Manage camper issues that arise within the tribe. Work with the camper care team and counselors to support struggling campers. Communicate with campers and staff through Non Violent Communication techniques.
- Lead meals, facilitate golden broom selection, and support with other all camp moments. Provide assistance and coverage during key times during the day. Sometimes this will be scheduled, other times will be as needed. Times may include: Menucha / Rest Hour, Schmooze / Free Time, Shower Time, Health Center during evening medications, Bedtime Rituals, etc.
- Design and run Tribe Nights (evening programs for the entire age group), Support the program team in all camp programs and to produce tribe specific weekly & daily schedules, and schedule counselor days & hours off.
- Liaison between different departments of camp. Communicate between campers, counselors, the office, directors, health center, camper care, and specialists regarding matters specific to your tribe’s campers & counselors
- Respect and support a pluralistic Jewish community.
- Responsible for adhering to all camp rules and policies.
- Excited about being a role model and being eyes and ears for all that’s happening around camp.
- The person in this role is expected to stay at camp the entire season, attend staff training and live on site at Eden Village West for the 8 week summer season
- Prior experience as a supervisor, or clearly ready to step into a leadership/supervisory role with counselors who may be their peers outside of camp
- Able and willing to accept supervision and guidance.
- Able to put the needs of the campers and staff before the needs of self.
- Able to manage their own time, schedule, and tasks with flexible and willingness to go with the flow
Why you’ll love it!
- Experience a deep community with a vibrant staff of 75 young people from all over the world! Our community values skills sharing, spiritual growth, and inclusivity.
- You’ll enjoy three kosher, organic, locally sourced meals a day.
- We have a secret staff lounge that is stocked with awesome staff snacks, and a not-so-secret not-so-little FARM full of fresh off the vine snacks! We’re munching on farm fresh treats all summer long.
- You get to hang out with goats!
- We have staff fun activities that take place 2-3 times a week, facilitated by your fellow staff members!
- You’ll inspire kids to be more playful, kind, caring, joyful, and grateful- changing their lives and changing the world!
Starting Compensation: Winter & Spring Hourly work- $25/hour
Summer starting compensation- $3200 (DOE) + Room & Board
Time Off: All staff receive one 24-hour day off per week, and at least 1 hour off every day