Religious School Educator
Temple Israel of the City of New York
Congregation Yad b’Yad (Hand in Hand)
Temple Israel of the City of New York, a vibrant, engaged, mid-size Reform congregation on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, is looking for creative, enthusiastic, and dedicated Religious School teachers to join our team for the 2022-2023 school year. If you are passionate about teaching, love making Judaism come alive for young people, and thrive in a collaborative environment, we want you!
Our curriculum is interactive, modern, and rooted in seven overarching values which are designed to engage, inspire, and guide our learners as they navigate the world around them. Our goal is for all members of the synagogue to be actively involved in Torah study and Jewish learning, leading to greater Jewish knowledge and deeper Jewish involvement. We are uniquely sensitive and accommodating to the unique needs of modern Jewish family, including but not limited to interfaith families, mixed-race families, LGBTQ+ families, etc.
3rd grade – Mondays, 4-6pm (in person)
5th grade –Wednesdays, 3:45-6:15pm (in person)
- Be proficient in using educational technologies in a classroom setting
- Have strong communication skills, written and oral, for interacting with students and parents.
- Have prior experience with experiential learning.
- Be comfortable working with both children and families.
- Have a strong sense of their own Jewish identity.
- Be experienced in building community in creative ways
- Have prior teaching or camp experience (preferred).
- Possess a sense of humor.
- Respond well to feedback.
- Thrive on building meaningful relationships.
- Experience working in settings with children with special needs is a plus.
- Be creative, with the ability to augment, customize, and adjust existing lesson plans, as needed
- Understand how to relate to students with different interests and guide/coach learners to enduring understandings.
- Be able to read/chant the typical prayers in a standard Reform service (preferred for 3rd, required for 5th).
Please send you resume and a short cover letter explaining your interest in this type of position to Barry at [email protected]