Israel Congregation, a vibrant Jewish congregation of approximately 150 member units in Manchester Center, Vermont, is searching for an Education Director for our growing Hebrew School. This position will focus on fostering a lifelong desire to learn about Judaism and to become active members of our Jewish community by increasing our students' knowledge of Hebrew, Torah, Israel, holidays, rituals, life cycle events, and the importance of our Jewish values through tikkun olam in a positive and engaging environment.
The Education Director is a part-time position of approximately 10 hours a week, reporting directly to the Clergy and working closely with our support staff, as well as lay leaders and volunteers. The Education Director will coordinate with parents, teachers and students setting the tone of the school. Upon occasion, if a teacher is absent, the Education Director should be ready to step in for the day’s lesson.
Students range in age from 6 – 14 years and meet weekly on Wednesday afternoons from 4:00 – 5:30 pm. B’nai mitzvah education and unique holiday programs will be supported by the Education Director. Development and responsibility for six family programs to be developed for the greater community annually will be required.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Creating a welcoming and exciting environment for all our students and families.
- Continue to build upon the established curriculum foundation.
- Maintain regular communication with our Hebrew School families.
- Recruit, hire, supervise and mentor teachers.
- Implement school-wide programs and holiday observances.
- Apply for, and follow up on, grants for the creation and running of engaging, community family education programs.
- Manage the Hebrew School budget and calendar.
- Work closely with our Children’s Education Committee.
- Teaching experience required, especially within a synagogue Religious School.
- Excellent organization, time management, communication and computer skills.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Benefits to be negotiated.
Israel Congregation is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Israel Congregation encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, physical ability, or veteran status.