Part-Time STEAM Department Chair/Science Instructor – Rochelle Zell Jewish High School (SY 23-24)
Who We Are
Located 25 miles northwest of downtown Chicago, Rochelle Zell Jewish High School is a private, co-educational high school. Our mission is to create a culture of academic excellence that inspires and prepares our students to think critically, achieve their full potential, and live Judaism as responsible and involved citizens in the modern world.
Rochelle Zell offers a college preparatory program that combines a rigorous general studies education with a comprehensive Jewish studies education. Small classes and individualized instruction help students find their own voice, solve problems creatively, cultivate respect for individual differences, and develop a deep dedication to learning. Rochelle Zell also offers strong athletic and fine arts programs, as well as numerous extracurricular activities and leadership opportunities. These opportunities pave the way for our students to matriculate into some of the best colleges and universities in the country and abroad.
Rochelle Zell opened its doors as Chicagoland Jewish High School (CJHS) in 2001 to 26 students and has continued to grow. Upon receiving a generous endowment from the Zell family, the school was renamed in honor of the Zell family matriarch, Rochelle Zell. Our current enrollment consists of over 150 students drawn from over 20 communities in the Chicago area and beyond.
Who We Are Seeking
We are seeking a highly skilled, passionate department chair for our STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Math) program. Our current STEAM courses are offered within our Arts & Electives department. An ideal candidate is well-equipped to create a vision for the program for both the short-term and long-term and would also be the instructor of the STEAM course.
Depending on experience and expertise, teaching elsewhere in the Science department (Physics and/or Chemistry) may be possible.
This is a unique opportunity to join a highly professional faculty at a school that offers a robust and rigorous dual curriculum in General and Jewish Studies. At minimum, qualified candidates must have earned a bachelor’s degree and hold a professional teaching license in their particular subject area.
Duties and Responsibilities
The STEAM Department Chair works closely with both the Dean of Faculty and the Academic Dean and also collaborates with the Arts & Electives department chair. The STEAM Department Chair is responsible for carrying out the following duties:
- Creating a vision for the STEAM program that is informed by the school mission and by exemplars in the current field of STEAM education.
- Implementing “Project Lead the Way (PLTW)” as the curricular structure of the STEAM course.
- Advising on the purchase of curricular resources and investments in the context of a program budget.
- Managing the physical space of the STEAM lab including clear procedures and expectations for student/staff use.
In addition, teachers report directly to their Department Chairs and work closely with both the Dean of Faculty and the Academic Dean. Teachers are responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Planning and Instruction: Plans and delivers instruction based on clear, departmentally agreed upon course learning targets.
- Assessment: Assesses student understanding using a variety of formative and summative instruments aligned to course learning targets.
- Classroom Environment: Establishes and maintains clear expectations for student conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates professional judgment, ethical conduct, and appropriate language/behavior with colleagues, students, and families. Follows policies contained in the Rochelle Zell Jewish High School Faculty Handbook.
July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024
Based on degree and experience.
Please send resumes to Stu Jacobs, Dean of Faculty