Summary: The Assistant Director, Program Innovation and Communications is a key member of the year-round Camp Wise leadership team. Working together we develop a shared vision, and design and implement the Camp Wise experience for campers, camper families, staff members, and alumni.
Camp Wise, the third oldest Jewish overnight camp in the country, is a strong and growing camp based in Cleveland, OH serving nearly 600 campers each summer from the region and across the nation. As Assistant Director you will positively impact the lives of youth and young adults by thinking big, implementing a cutting edge summer program and sharing your love of camp with energy and excellence each day. As you build relationships with the next generation of campers and staff members, you will bring hundreds of new individuals into lifelong friendships, inspire personal growth, nurture a love for Jewish community, Israel and the Jewish people in others.
Under the Camp Director’s supervision and in collaboration with the year-round leadership team, the Assistant Director will: (1) implement the overall camp program in the summer, develop new programming and evaluate current offerings; (2) oversee camper recruitment, retention and engagement gatherings and recruitment strategy; (3) effectively communicate Camp Wise's mission, culture, energy, and endless fun through social media, website and e-mail, using the latest marketing tools. This position includes the benefit of full-time residence at Camp Wise in Chardon, OH during the summer months, for specific programming during the fall, winter and spring, and monthly travel through the Camp Wise region.
- Exemplify the mission and goals of the Mandel Jewish Community Center and Camp Wise.
- Lead others as an active, positive, collaborative member of the MJCC and Camp Wise staff team.
- Model and implement the Jewish values of Camp Wise and its mission.
- Continually develop engaging and innovative summer camp programs and activities that align with ever changing camper interests. Seek out the latest trends in recreation, arts, STEM and more.
- Supervise summer programming and activities supervisor team known as “PASSQUAD.”
- Oversee the day-to-day management of the in-session summer program including daily schedule design, adjustment, and activity assignments.
- Ensure the best possible experience for each individual child and staff member at Camp Wise.
- Prioritize the well-being and care of all campers and excellent experience for staff members.
- Contribute to a meaningful experience for Camp Wise summer staff that emphasizes personal growth and development.
- Assist in the process of interviewing and hiring new and returning summer staff applicants. Conduct performance reviews and evaluation of summer supervisory staff members.
Recruit, Retain and Engage Campers
- Partner with the Camp Director and other team members to design overall strategy for camper recruitment and retention.
- Develop and schedule recruitment events locally, nationally, and internationally as required; build relationships with campers and their families in-person and by phone, text, and email.
- Innovate in the field: increase Camp Wise’s recruitment by fostering strong relationships between campers and creating deeper connections within the Camp Wise region during the school year. Create new year-round engagement opportunities, online and in-person, over a period of 1-2 camp seasons.
- Current engagement opportunities include but are not limited to: winter overnights, Alumni reunion, Women’s Weekend, Family Camp, Family Fun Day, and more based on the Assistant Director’s creative approach.
Communicate with the Camp Wise Community
- In collaboration with leadership team, develop a strong and positive Camp Wise presence in the communities served by Camp Wise using digital marketing and engagement tools.
- Maintain an interactive online presence for current campers, families, and alumni utilizing the Camp Wise website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and more.
- Implement Camp Wise’s communication plan (emails, phone calls, mailings) in collaboration with MJCC Marketing and Communications Department.
- Manage & maintain Camp Wise presence throughout JCC building and Jewish community (locally and regionally).
- Support Camp Wise Advancement
- Support Leadership Team in maintaining year-round alumni engagement through social media/marketing, events, and campaigns.
- Support Camp Director with implementation of Camp Wise annual and future capital campaigns.
- Attend professional development conferences and programs as a lifelong learner.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Camp Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Recreation, Jewish Studies, Communications, Social Work, or Business.
- Three years of experience in program management in a camping, youth work, education or similar environment, or the equivalent in summer leadership at camp.
- Proven presentation, writing, and leadership skills that inspire and engage others.
- Demonstrated excellence in Microsoft Office and social media applications: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Experience with constituent database functions/list creation.
- Highly preferred: Adobe InDesign, Basecamp, WordPress, HTML.
- Strong knowledge of Jewish culture, heritage, and traditions.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, following multiple timelines.
- Ability to communicate clearly to both children and adults.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with demands to be physically active and lift objects of at least 40 lbs.
Expectations of Employees:
- Support the Mission of the Mandel JCC.
- Ensure the highest quality of programs and services and possess a working knowledge of agency programs and services.
- Represent the agency and provide the highest quality of customer service to the individuals and groups with whom you come into contact.
- Treat fellow staff with respect.
- Wear Mandel JCC Staff ID badge and attend appropriate staff meetings
Qualified candidtates, we look forward to reviewing your materials. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Camp Wise Director, Rabbi Dan Utley [email protected] and Senior Director of HR, Michelle Eisenberg [email protected]