The position of Office Manager for Shir Hadash Reconstructionist Synagogue located at 200 West Dundee Road, Wheeling, IL 60090. We need someone with a highly collaborative approach, who is good natured, big-hearted, dependable and will roll up their sleeves to help whenever needed.
This is an in-office position that will require the person to be on site during the hours that the Synagogue is open for business. Office hours are 9-4 Monday-Thursday and 9-3 on Friday with an hour for lunch. It is possible we may want Wednesday to be a remote (from home) work day. Occasional evenings and weekends depending on programs and events.
- Maintain accurate and secure Temple records.
- Work with ShulCloud to add and update Temple database. ShulCloud is the cloud-based synagogue management software we use to administer our membership database. Prior experience with ShulCloud, while not required, would be greatly valued.
- Assist Rabbi and Temple leadership/committee chairs on related activities.
- Serve as contact with members and respond to internal and external inquiries.
- Management of member accounts, invoicing, event registrations, calendar management, staff directory, distribution of various letters and emails to congregants, financial tracking, and other actions as needed.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings, monthly Finance committee meeting, and other meetings as needed.
Coordination of Financial Functions with Remote Accounting Outsourcing Partner – Kesef Accounting Services, a sister company to ShulCloud
- Coordinate the updating and maintenance of our accounting and financial records.
- Coordinate the processing of vendor/supplier/contractor invoices, accounts payable, obtaining of required approvals, and ensuring timely payment of such invoices.
- Using electronic scanner, process the deposit of checks received to our bank.
- Maintain and prepare monthly reconciliation of petty cash fund
- Verify the accuracy of outsourced financial records
- Communicate with clergy, staff and/or Membership Committee regarding members’ personal or institutional concerns and life cycle events.
- Rapidly respond to and follow-up on all inquiries from prospective members.
- Collaborate with Membership Committee to facilitate new member programs.
- Obtain and circulate regular membership census reports and religious school enrollment reports.
- Work with Officers and/or directly handle member financial issues, including delinquent payments of dues and fees, or dues relief, according to the policies of the Temple Board
Services, Programs and Events
- Maintain and update on-line calendars for all programs and events.
- Coordinate with members, renters and other temple staff on the available of temple spaces for all events.
- Provide administrative and logistic support necessary for all holiday and festival services.
Media and Temple Promotion
- Maintain and update Temple’s website.
- Create, post, and maintain Temple’s social media (Facebook and Instagram)
- Develop promotional emails and flyers regarding Temple-supported events.
Building and Grounds, Property and Equipment
- Work with the Building Superintendent to monitor facilities and ensure that equipment is in proper working order.
- Coordinate with Building Superintendent and vendors to ensure attractive appearance, cleanliness and safety.
- Maintenance of prayer supplies, ordering of office supplies, and management of supply and storage closets as needed.
- Scheduling of security guards and Event Monitors, and ordering of memorial plates and simcha leaves.
Skills, Competencies and Preferred Prior Experience
- Superior interpersonal skills are essential, including tact, diplomacy, patience, and a problem-solving mindset
- Strong computing skills expected including, at a minimum, a high level of proficiency in the use of email, word processing, and spreadsheet software with the use of PowerPoint or other presentation software optional.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities and ensure that deadlines are met
- The person holding this position needs to have a comfortable knowledge of Apple “Mac” products and/or a willingness to learn those applications that are not already known.
- Good working knowledge of Google Office Suite or a willingness to learn.
- Knowledge of ShulCloud and QuickBooks are both helpful, but not required. But a willingness and aptitude to learn is necessary. Note: Kesef will maintain our books on Quickbooks and make all entries. The person in this position will have read-only capabilities.
- We prefer somoeone with 5 years of experience, ideally in a customer service-related industry.