Who We Are:
Congregation Or VeShalom (OVS), with its rich and diverse 100+ year history, is located in the rapidly growing intown Atlanta neighborhood of Brookhaven, and currently serves over 350 member households. Founded in 1914 by families primarily from the Mediterranean Island of Rhodes and Turkey, OVS is known for its distinctive heritage, often counting multi-generational families among the membership. Over time, our congregation has attracted families from Sephardic communities around the world as well as Ashkenazi Jews from the United States. The tradition of our synagogue is Sephardic; however, our membership today represents a wide variety of religious practices and varied levels of personal observance within Judaism.
We are financially stable and debt-free with a generous membership. OVS is centrally located in a geographically convenient community filled with young Jewish families and single professionals, many of whom are not yet affiliated.
Overview of the Position:
The congregation is excited about the ongoing process of engaging children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of our founding members, as well as attracting new young families.
OVS is a progressive Sephardic congregation. This means we are paving a new path for the community and the Sephardic world all at once. OVS will be a laboratory of cutting-edge innovative Jewish and Sephardic experiences. Through the work of our Programming and Membership Team, OVS will look like a Venn diagram through which we will be offering programs and opportunities targeted to various demographics but the overlap will permit people to enjoy programs that are not even targeted to them. The need is for us to offer variety for people of all ages and stages of life.
Our members desire more ways to connect with OVS through varied programming, religious offerings, and community service opportunities. This individual is responsible for fostering engagement within the OVS community. This individual will work closely with, and report directly to the Executive Director, while also working closely with our Rabbi, who has brought new life to the community. The Membership Engagement Associate will work with the Programming and Membership Engagement Committees on achieving the goals set by our strategic planning committee. In addition, the Membership Engagement Associate will provide logistical support for all events.
You will work collaboratively with other synagogue staff and leadership on developing programs and services to help OVS become a destination and gathering place for our current and future members.
- Direct outreach to congregants of all ages through text messages, direct phone calls and meetings to increase their participation within the synagogue community
- Implement and support programs and services that will help make OVS a destination and gathering place. These programs could include holiday celebrations, social, educational, recreational, and volunteer events.
- Be part of the OVS team that works to create and execute a marketing and communications plan to promote and recruit participants for all programs, events and services. You will be the lead professional creating and posting across all social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, X, etc.)
- Work with other professional staff and appropriate lay leaders to help develop and implement strategies and programs for our growing young adult and family population
- Be the key OVS staff person to work with the appropriate Committee(s) on large OVS programs and events such as a Purim Celebration or a Mitzvah Day.
- Oversee event coordination, logistics, publicity, and follow-up.
- Lend support to all membership and fundraising events including engagement opportunities at Jewish Holidays and other special events.
- Evaluate programs to ensure they meet congregant needs and the OVS mission.
- Attend all meetings, trainings, conferences, and events as assigned.
- Maintain the highest quality of courtesy, friendliness and service toward members, visitors and other staff.
- Understand and support the mission, vision, and values of OVS.
- Ability to work frequent nights and weekends (office hours flexed).
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned.
Healthcare, Dental, and Vision Plans covered at 70%
Professional Development Opportunities Throughout the Year
Start Date: Fall 2023/Winter 2024 with flexibility
All inquiries including sending resumes and cover letter should be sent to [email protected]