Director of Communications
North Shore Congregation Israel (NSCI) seeks an experienced Director of Communications who has a deep understanding of the role communications plays in advancing an organization’s mission. The ideal candidate will be able to apply market analysis, deep knowledge of the media landscape, and an understanding of how to craft messages and leverage content that resonates with and engages target audiences.
This professional reports to the Executive Director and is a member of NSCI’s Senior Staff. In addition, the candidate will understand how to collaborate with a team of leaders to leverage their knowledge, build their power, and use their skills.
NSCI, a reform synagogue located on the shores of Lake Michigan, is one of Chicago’s largest and most vibrant congregations. NSCI recently marked its centennial in 2020. Even with 100 years of history, NSCI maintains a forward-thinking approach to Jewish life and engagement. NSCI recently completed a highly successful capital campaign designed to help ensure a modern, safe, flexible and nimble environment for years to come.
- Oversee the development and execution of a comprehensive communications plan that supports NSCI’s engagement strategy, brand, retention, and growth objectives, working in close collaboration with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator, NSCI’s senior leadership team, and other staff and leaders.
- Oversee and contribute to the development of all internal and external messaging for NSCI, including talking points, publications, and fundraising content.
- Devise and implement strategies to drive traffic to the website and other digital platforms. Create actionable digital content for all distribution channels.
- Manage media relations, including cultivating media contacts, responding to media inquiries, preparing press releases and media advisories, and working with staff to determine the appropriate spokesperson, as needed.
- Monitor media coverage, promote and track NSCI’s earned media coverage.
- Mentor and supervise the Marketing and Communications Coordinator who is responsible for the day-to-day coordination of multiple communications pieces, maintenance of the website, and interface between the CRM system and the administrative team.
- Monitor digital engagement and utilize data to inform engagement and marketing strategies.
- Work in collaboration with all NSCI departments—NSCI believes strongly in interdepartmental collaboration and expects all staff to work in close partnership with the other departments at the synagogue.
- Be present and support key engagement functions throughout the year as determined by the Executive Director.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Enthusiasm for the vision and mission of NSCI (www.nsci.org/Who-We-Are) and the role of synagogues in Jewish life.
- Demonstrated in-depth experience with developing and leading strategic communications to advance and achieve organizational goals with a strong emphasis on engagement.
- Demonstrated leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels. Ability to translate strategy into plans of action.
- Attention to detail with very high quality standards and principles when it comes to brand integrity.
- Strong media relations experience with the ability to create traditional and digital media campaigns that produce engagement and positive impact.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills to express messages concisely and the ability to effectively interface with senior leadership, volunteers, and staff.
- Experience working on websites, intranets or other media to ensure quality, user-friendly, dynamic content.
- Experience with Google Analytics and SEO.
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, volunteers, other organizations and industry contacts.
Reports to: Executive Director
Job type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience, includes benefits
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to [email protected]