Who are we?
Community Day School in Squirrel Hill is an independent, co-ed Jewish day school for students in Early Childhood through Grade 8. We are distinguished by an exceptional academic program rooted in Jewish values that inspires children to become their best selves. We offer our employees competitive benefits, generous time off, and a professional and collegial atmosphere in which to explore innovative and creative approaches to teaching.
How can you contribute?
Our Middle School Social Studies and Civics teacher will teach Social Studies and Civics to our Middle School students (6th, 7th, and 8th Grade - two sections of each).
Sixth Grade focuses on World History and Geography; 7th and 8th grades focus on American History and Civics.
The Social Studies/Civics Teacher is responsible for developing in each student an appreciation of American ideals, values, and cultural heritage.
Students will demonstrate:
- proficiency in the use of Social Studies/Civics inquiry skills and concepts
- capacity to understand and exercise their rights, privileges, and responsibilities as citizens
- understanding of the geographical, historical, cultural, and political components of national and world events
- capacity to become critical thinkers who can evaluate current events through the lens of history
- capacity to cultivate their own opinions based on the study of original and factual sources
- capacity to distinguish between information and disinformation and to discern bias in all the various platforms from which they access information.
(Our Middle School students also study Society, Human Behavior, and Holocaust, primarily in 7th and 8th Grade through the “Facing History and Ourselves” curriculum taught by a colleague. There are numerous opportunities for collaboration between these subject areas.)
Successful candidates will distinguish themselves by demonstrating the capacity and desire to differentiate instruction for all students, including those needing supported or advanced instruction. We seek a team player who will work collaboratively to provide a joyful, innovative, and engaging education for our students.
This is an in-person position and qualified candidates must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Teach according to the educational needs, abilities and achievement of the individual students and groups of students.
- Create social studies lessons that align with the school’s curriculum, inspire inquiry and exploration, and place the onus of learning on the students.
- Align classroom management techniques with Responsive Classroom practices.
- Assign, correct, and comment on work carried out by students.
- Assess and record students’ learning, progress, and behavior and post grades and provide feedback to students, and if needed, to parents, on a timely and routine basis, and as needed.
- Collaborate with other teachers, parents and stakeholders and participate in regular meetings.
- Participate in curriculum and other developmental programs.
- Participate in faculty committees and sponsorship of student activities.
- Attend all staff meetings, Professional Development, and evening events as required.
- Perform homeroom, advisory, and other duties as assigned.
What are we looking for? The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Masters Degree is a plus.
- Pennsylvania or other state certification and at least two years of teaching experience.
- Thorough knowledge of teaching best practices.
- Capacity and desire to differentiate instruction for all students.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to use a computer, including Google Mail, Google Apps (GSuite), Zoom and other remote teaching applications.
What are your next steps?
Check out our website for more information about our school at comday.org. If this sounds like an exciting role and you feel that Community Day School could be your home for a rewarding career, we would like to hear from you! Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Community Day School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, tuition assistance and scholarship programs, athletics, or other school-administered programs. Community Day School is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community and strongly encourages applications from people of color and LGBTQ candidates.