At the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund (the Federation), we envision diverse, dynamic Bay Area Jewish communities, deeply engaged in Jewish life and doing good locally, in Israel, and around the world. We create opportunities for people in the Bay Area to connect with and contribute to their communities. Our work is guided by the timeless Jewish values of kehilla (community), tzedakah (giving with just intention), tzedek (pursuing justice), and tikkun olam (repairing the world).
Together, our community is shaping Jewish life in the Bay Area by focusing on three main priorities. First, we’re working to foster and facilitate more impactful philanthropy. Second, we’re working to ensure security and resilience for local Jewish families. And third, we’re engaging the next generation of Bay Area Jews, so they too can find connection and meaning in the values and traditions of Judaism.
The Federation seeks highly motivated individuals with a variety of skill sets to build the next generation of Federation engagement. We are especially interested in forward-thinking, collaborative, and open-minded candidates who are willing to take risks, possess a high level of integrity, and model a positive attitude that inspires confidence.
The Staff Accountant under the supervision of the Sr. Manager of General Fund Accounting, is responsible for the full cycle accounts payable process ensuring that all expenses, invoices, check requests, and payments are processed in a timely and accurate manner in according with the Federation’s policies and procedures. Communicates with employees and vendors to resolve payables related issues. The successful candidate will have a strong accounting background, be detailed and deadline-oriented, operational, and can operate in a fast-paced and collaborative environment. This role is a hybrid job that is Bay Area-based and has essential onsite work required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Manage the accounts payable workflow, ensuring accuracy of all invoices, recurring vouchers, and check/wire request forms for proper coding, documentation, and approval.
- Process AP weekly invoices, recurring vouchers, and check/wire requests as well as grants in a timely and accurate manner and prepare checks for signature. Apply payments for wires.
- Prepare batch reports for all accounts payable transactions and review for errors prior to submitting to supervisor for AP and GL posting of weekly check runs.
- Upload check registers to Positive Pay and update cash books for all A/P transactions
- Correspond with vendors regarding account issues, research unpaid invoices, outstanding or stale dated checks including follow-up with vendors in a timely and professional manner. Investigate and resolve any invoice discrepancies and issues. Place stop payments, void/reissue checks.
- Process American Express commercial credit card transactions and employee expense reimbursements
- through Concur and verify transactions with supporting receipts, documentation. Ensure all transactions are in accordance with company policies and budget guidelines.
- Reconcile aging payables to general ledger. Responsible for accounts payable records in accounting system.
- Maintain vendor files, such as Form W-9, independent contractor approval forms, agreements, and contracts.
- Process annual Form 1099s, including mailing, filing and corrections as required by the IRS.
- Prepare journal entries for AP adjustments, reconcile various accounts.
- Assist with audits and tax filings.
- Ensure all tasks are in accordance with company policy and have proper documentation.
- Maintain and update accounting procedures.
- Participate in the implementation and improvement of workflows that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
- Responsible for the timely setup of AP wires.
- Additional duties assigned as required.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING EQUIVALENT
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) years of accounts payable and related experience.
- Non-profit and fund accounting experience preferred.
QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSES)
- Experience in fund accounting software, FIMS a plus.
- Demonstrate understanding of General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and general knowledge of accounting practices and procedures.
- Proficient data entry and facility with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, OneDrive, and SharePoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to interact with all levels including, but not limited to employees, vendors, senior management.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time, and multi-task with limited supervision, sometimes under time pressure.
- Self-starter with a can-do attitude and a team player.
- Dependable, flexible, and professional demeanor.
Compensation range: $58,000 - $68,000/annually, but this is an hourly, non-exempt role.
Please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter. All applications and inquiries will receive a response and will be kept strictly confidential.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits — medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, holidays (including Jewish), and retirement plan.
Please note that the Federation requires COVID-19 vaccination for new hires, and is planning a hybrid work model of working two days a week in our office.