About the Organization:
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For more than 100 years, we’ve brought New Yorkers together to solve some of the most pressing problems facing our community. Thanks to our network of hundreds of non-profits, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, respond to crises close to home and far away, and shape our Jewish future. Our reach extends from New York to Israel to nearly 70 other countries around the world, touching 4.5 million people each year.
The Development Assistant supports the Lawyers Division*, which raises over $8 million annually by engaging lawyers and law firms in New York in the work of UJA-Federation.
We are looking for an organized, personable, and thoughtful applicant to provide essential administrative support. The right candidate is a confident, independent thinker with strong computer, organizational, and data-management skills. To be successful, this person must be able to work and collaborate effectively with the Lawyers Division team and the broader UJA team, both volunteer and professional. The activities of this division are fast-paced and high-energy, therefore this role requires a team-player with the ability to multi-task, troubleshoot, and be a forward-thinker.
This job is an opportunity to work in a warm and supportive environment for the largest local philanthropy in the world.
*Note: legal experience not required. This is a position in the fundraising department.
- Schedule and provide administrative support for key committees, conferences, meetings, and affinity groups – including meeting and event logistics, materials preparation, mail merge, and note-taking.
- Support with communications to various constituents including nonprofit organizations, lay leaders, and professional staff of the Lawyers Division, including the Director and Associate Director. This includes drafting emails and answering phone calls.
- Coordinate and take initiative in the planning and execution of briefings, volunteer projects, and committee meetings.
- Learn UJA-Federation databases and be ready to thoughtfully execute searches and giving reports.
- Process gifts, event registrations/payments, invoices, and expense reports.
- Provide support before, during and after meetings, events, and programs. This may include working registration, collecting payments, distributing literature, and helping with set up/tear-down.
- Manage electronic journal system for fundraising events and coordinate ads from contributors.
- Interface with various UJA-Federation departments such as the Print Shop, Accounting Services, Human Resources, Audio & Visual, and Marketing & Communications.
- Other projects as assigned.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- One to two years of administrative experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel in particular) and Zoom.
- Organized and detail-oriented person, who can keep a handle on extensive number of simultaneous reports, processes, and procedures.
- Strong critical thinking and analytic abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Team player, willing to participate in cross-division initiatives, and to support staff events.
- Problem-solver with meticulous attention to detail.
- Friendly and enthusiastic presence.
- Has a sense of humor and is unfazed by demands for quick turnaround on all assignments, including the unexpected.
- Proactive work ethic and common sense.
- Comfort and confidence in prioritizing work in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to work at events and programs when required, which may be outside of normal business hours.
The salary for this role is $45,000.
Great Perks. Because We Appreciate Great Employees.
We offer a generous number of vacation days and have the Jewish holidays off as well. Fridays our offices close early (October to March at 3:00 pm and April to September at 4:00 pm). All so you can relax and recharge.
UJA provides a top-tier medical and dental plan, along with a flexible spending account. We also offer life insurance. And for a small cost you can take part in on-site yoga and exercise classes at our Manhattan office. Wellness matters to us.
Planning for Retirement:
UJA employees can enroll in a pension plan and tax deferred annuity.
Classes, workshops, and compelling speakers will keep you at the top of your game.
We come together as a staff to commemorate holidays (from Rosh Hashanah to MLK Day), volunteer at nonprofits, and celebrate our accomplishments together. (Our chocolate chip cookies are legendary!)
Some More (Yes, more!)
We also offer a backup childcare program. And a commuter benefit plan. So you can get to work and feel good about it.
Also, a lot of the times, we’re wearing jeans.