Office Administrator Position
Los Angeles congregation Beth Chayim Chadashim (BCC) seeks an energetic, self-directed Office Administrator to assist clergy, staff, and volunteers in overseeing the day-to-day operations of the synagogue.
BCC is the world’s first LGBTQ synagogue, formed in 1972. BCC is a congregation born out of and guided by a passion for social justice and spiritual exploration. We are a pioneer in gender-neutral and LGBTQ+ inclusive liturgy and ritual. Our inclusive, varied programming is available because of the BCC tradition of volunteering and the collaboration of clergy with lay leadership.
About the Job
The Office Administrator is the catalyst for smooth and reliable day-to-day operations. The ideal candidate enjoys serving in a synagogue workplace and can work well independently, and in a team. They must communicate well verbally and in writing, be able to assist with events, logistics for holidays, interface with members, staff, clergy and lay leadership, and offer general office support. Enthusiasm, honesty, a positive attitude, ability to ask for help, and a sense of humor are essential.
Temple Administration and Facilities
- Assist in all synagogue events and Jewish holidays. This includes coordinating security, food, greeters (in person and virtual), and materials.
- Maintain the temple’s internal and external calendars, including the scheduling of building usage (such as rentals).
- Work closely with the Facilities’ Manager and others to ensure that the building, offices, and technologies are maintained in proper condition.
- Work with renters and potential renters of space within the building.
- Provide administrative support to clergy, board of directors, education director, and volunteers as needed.
- Assist in the coordination of meetings and in the preparation of meeting materials.
- Respond to member and general inquires (via phone, mail, and email) in a timely manner.
- Maintain files of important documents (including licenses, insurance, and tax correspondence).
Membership and Donation Management
- Maintain the ShulCloud membership database and the Constant Contact mailing list.
- Ensure that donors receive timely acknowledgements of gifts.
- Assist clergy and the board of directors in preparing membership, donation, and other relevant reports.
Fiscal and Human Resources
- Provide administrative support for the bookkeeping and treasury functions.
- Assist staff and board of directors in identifying qualified vendors of goods and services.
- Assist in outreach to volunteers for office support and temple programming.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university; any combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job. The desired candidate should be comfortable working with commonly-used commercial software, such as Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, Constant Contact, and Zoom. Applicants must be able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive member information. Knowledge of Jewish holidays & customs, and local Jewish and LGBTQIA+ communities is helpful.
Pay and benefits
Pay: This is an “at-will” full-time, hourly position. Starting pay range: $24 - $28/hour. Typical work hours are standard business hours, however there may be instances where the Office Administrator is needed to assist at religious services, meetings and holiday events outside of normal business hours.
Benefits: Employee health and dental insurance, 10 accrued vacation days, paid sick time in accordance with City of Los Angeles policy, and most federal holidays and Jewish holidays (except as needed).
Non-discrimination: BCC is an equal opportunity employer committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, gender expression, gender non-conforming, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status.
Background Check: A pre-employment background check will be conducted.
Position is open until filled.